5. Texts

three          

three           .          New Year's Eve

[ narrative , messages ]
JANUARY 2ND, 2024
Unanswered Messages.
summer's pov

✮ ⋆ ˚。𖦹 ⋆。°✩

I TEXTED Walker earlier this morning as I usually do, and I never got a reply. I've been on delivered for 7 hours... which was not usual for Walker.

He usually answered me within the hour, and if he didn't, I had been given a reason for why he wouldn't be answering. Now I was just confused.

It's not like I think I need to be the center of his attention or something, but it's just odd that I didn't get any sort of reply, like, even opening my messages.

I consider asking Lauren, but I know that would raise suspicions, so I obviously choose not to.

I text Kate asking if she wants to come over, and she immediately texts back yes. She's at my house within 10 minutes.

"Hey, Sum!" Kate smiles as she walks into my living room.

I perk up. "Hey, K. Thanks for coming over, I'm super bored."

"Yeah because Walker's on a plane?" Kate deadpans.

So that's why I haven't been answered all day.

"Ohh," I mumble, "that makes sense."

Kate laughs and she grabs the TV remote, turning Gilmore Girls on.

I grab the sketch I was working on before, a close up of a pair of converse, but the person wearing them, a girl, is up on her tippy toes. For what reason, I don't know, but in Kate's mind she's going up to kiss her boyfriend.

Then again, Kate reads romance books twenty-four seven and if she's not reading one, she's talking about one. She loves reading, she always has.

Ever since we were in 6th and 7th grade when I met her, she always had a book on her, no matter what.

"What book are you reading right now?" I ask her, and her face lights up.

"Really? I can tell you?" She asks, and I nod. "I'm reading Check & Mate by Ali Hazelwood. It's her only YA book, but so far I'm really enjoying it. It's about—"

I sort of tune her out as I sketch, but her voice is comforting to me. She's my best friend, so I like to spend as much time with her as I can.