𝓞𝓷𝓮

"I want you to be better about helping out this summer. Don't just leave your dishes in the sink. Load them into the dishwasher. And not just your own dish, either, Steven. I want you to be good houseguests." Mom says.

She's sitting in the back seat next to Belly whos looking out the window. Stevens driving the car, and I'm in the passenger seat of course since im the oldest.

Well second oldest if you count the fact that i was born nine minutes after Steven, who will never let that fact die down. We're on our way to Cousins to visit Susannah Fisher and her boys. My moms been friends with Susannah since they were in college and they've been close ever since.

My mom's kinda weird about the fact that Susannah has a lot of money and we... dont.

"But, I mean. Susannah has people who clean, doesn't she?" Steven says focusing on the road.

"Don't be a dick Steven." I roll my eyes and playfully hit his shoulder.

"Ow.." He mutters.

"Just— be considerate and act like I raised you right. Steven and Ellie that means don't stay out too late." She says looking at steven. She knows I never stay out late but if she were to only say this to steven he would throw a temper tantrum about it.

"Mom, I'm about to be 18. I'm too old for a curfew." Steven groans.

"Oh really? You don't act it." I laugh. Steven still sleeps with a night light on because he's scared of the dark. Nothing grown about that. But he's made me swear to never speak about that to anyone.

"What about me? I don't have a curfew either, do I?" Belly chimes in looking at mom. 

Me and steven both look at each other with a grin before busting out laughing. "Why would you need a curfew?" Steven snorts. "Yeah belly i've never seen you go anywhere" I say in between laughs. It's true. Belly usually spends her time with the moms or following Conrad around like a little puppy.

Conrad is one of Susannah's boys, Jeremiah being the other one. Every summer Belly spends her time crushing on Conrad. Steven and I even have a bet on how long this crush will last. I bet 3 more years. He bets it will never end and she'll die and be buried next to him.

"Belly, we can talk about it when something comes up." She says sweetly to Belly even though everyone in the car except Belly knows nothing will ever come up. It's not even us being dickheads. Belly doesn't make friends in Cousins for some reason. She's usually hanging out with me, swimming, or playing volleyball. Volleyball is Bellys life. She loves it. I play volleyball too but it's not where my heart belongs. Softball is more of my sport. Plus Belly is way better at volleyball than me. She might even get a scholarship one day. 

Stevens phone buzzes on the console and I look at the notification. "Shayla texted." I say to Steven. Shayla is Stevens soon to be girlfriend. I met her last year and introduced her to steven. She's the sweetest girl you will ever meet. And not to mention she's so beautiful. Like I mean drop dead gorgeous. I'm surprised Steven was even able to pull her. I obviously got the better genes in the womb. 

"What'd she say?" Steven asks looking at the phone while trying to focus on the road. Before I can even grab the phone, Belly snatches it and reads the message. "She says she'll see you at the bonfire tonight. What bonfire?" 

"None of your business Belly. Give it back." He says reaching back to reach his phone but fails.

"Steven, don't you dare. You're 6 times more likely to get in a wreck texting while driving than drinking and driving." Mom says. 

Ever since she watched that stupid documentary, she's been so obsessed with being road safe to the point she'll give us a fact every time we're on the road.