Chapter 8: Unveiling the culprit

In the confines of the ice room, the air was thick with the scent of death. Li Lianhua gingerly covered his face with a handkerchief, his stomach churning at the sight of the lifeless body before them.

"You look like you're about to lose your lunch," Fang Duobing remarked, his voice muffled by his own cloth mask as he meticulously examined the body for any signs of injury.

Li Lianhua shot him a reproachful glance. "You don't seem to be bothered by the sight of a dead body."

"I'm a detective," Duobing retorted matter-of-factly, not missing a beat in his examination. "If you're feeling queasy, you can always wait outside."

"I'm not going to let you have all the fun," Lianhua replied, determinedly holding back his discomfort. "Besides, someone needs to make sure you don't miss anything."

Duobing chuckled under his breath. "Just try not to faint on me."

After sometime they went to Madam Yu and showed her the needle, "Do you recognize this? This golden needle was found in Second Young Miss's heart."

"This needle can kill people?" Madam Yu's husband asked.

"This is... the Soul Snatching Needle?" she said and was shocked, "How did it get out? Bring me the Armory's records."

A person who was incharge of armory room came with a register, "Madam, I've checked. The Soul Snatching Needle has been missing since six months ago."

"Who took it?" she yelled.

"It was..." the guard reluctantly said, "Yun Jiao, Second Young Miss."

Madam Yu angrily walked towards Yun Jiao room and yelled at her, "I knew it. It was you who killed my sister. If you don't confess, I have thousands of ways to make you suffer. Tell me the truth."

"Stop! Madam Yu! Are you going to torture her?" Fang Duobing intervened.

"If I don't torture her, how can I make her talk? Ever since she saw the dead body she got traumatized and is acting crazy."

Fang Duobing, realizing Madam Yu's reluctance to listen, swiftly turned the situation to his advantage.

"Here, Master Li is a renowned miracle physician," he declared, gesturing towards Li Lianhua. "If he can't cure her, you can hang him up again and roast him. I won't plead for him."

Li Lianhua shot a glare at Fang Duobing, feeling a pang of frustration at being thrust into the spotlight once again. "How typical of Fang Duobing to offer me up as a sacrifice whenever he's in a bind," he grumbled inwardly. "I swear, this detective benefits more from my skills than any of my patients."

"Doctor Li, please say something," Fang Duobing said with an innocent smile, seemingly oblivious to Li Lianhua's silent frustration.

"Surely, I can cure here but it will take some time to prepare the medicine." 

Madam Yu was irritated at this but to force confession out of Yun Jiao she reluctantly agreed, "Do anything you want but I need her to speak up."

Madam Yu departed from the room, leaving Fang Duobing and Li Lianhua alone. Lianhua let out a tired yawn, rubbing his eyes. "I need to sleep. I want some rest; my brain is not braining anymore."

"You should take some rest, or your wound won't heal," Duobing advised, feeling a sharp twinge of pain in his back, a reminder of his own injury.

"What are you going to do?" Lianhua inquired, but Duobing brushed off his question and left the room. Lianhua sighed and made his way to the guest room, feeling grateful for the hearty dinner that awaited him. Deep down, he knew that Duobing would solve the case, as always.