Chapter 16: Fang Duobing vs. Di Feisheng

The next morning dawned with a sense of urgency as Fang Duobing, Di Feisheng, and Li Lianhua confronted the Master of the Manor.

"Master, we have evidence that something sinister is happening here," Fang Duobing began, his voice steady despite the turmoil raging within him.

"Evidence? What evidence could you possibly have?" he retorted, his arrogance evident in every word.

Di Feisheng's patience wore thin at the Master's dismissive attitude. With a swift motion, he grabbed the Master by the collar, dragging him towards the bridge with an iron grip. "Enough games. Tell us the truth, or face the consequences," he growled, his voice laced with a dangerous edge.

Fang Duobing and Li Lianhua watched in tense silence, the gravity of the situation weighing heavily upon them. Though Fang Duobing typically favored a more diplomatic approach, he recognized the necessity of Di Feisheng's aggression in this moment.

As Di Feisheng led the Master to the edge of the bridge, the Master's eyes widened in fear, realizing the seriousness of the situation. "Please, no!" he begged, his voice tinged with desperation.

But Di Feisheng's grip remained firm as he leaned in close, his voice a menacing whisper. "Tell us the truth, or you'll find yourself at the bottom of this pond," he threatened, his words echoing with the weight of their determination.

"I did it," he admitted, his voice filled with remorse and guilt. "I killed Shi Hun and my wife on my wedding night."

Shock and horror rippled through Fang Duobing, Di Feisheng, and Li Lianhua as the Master revealed the grisly details of his crimes. The Master's words hung heavy in the air, casting a pall over the tranquil surroundings of Cailian Manor.

"But why?" Fang Duobing demanded, his voice tinged with disbelief.

The Master's gaze fell to the ground, unable to meet their eyes as he recounted his dark motivations. "I couldn't bear the thought of my bride running away with another man. So I took matters into my own hands," he confessed, his words laden with regret.

Silence descended upon them as they absorbed the weight of the Master's confession. The truth had been revealed, but it came at a cost – the lives of innocent souls lost to the Master's selfish desires.

Ignoring the Master's remorseful tone, Di Feisheng's voice was cool and detached as he cut to the chase. "Where are Shi Hun's belongings? His diary, his personal effects," he demanded, his tone brooking no argument.

The Master's gaze shifted nervously, his eyes avoiding Di Feisheng's piercing stare. "I don't know," he replied, his voice quivering with apprehension. "I disposed off everything after the incident."

"Listen to me carefully," Di Feisheng's voice was low and menacing, every word dripping with menace. "If you're lying to us, if you're hiding anything, you will regret it. I will make sure of it."

"Fei, please," Fang Duobing's voice trembled with urgency, his words a desperate plea for reason. "We don't need to resort to violence. Let's handle this peacefully."

But Di Feisheng's expression hardened, his resolve unshaken. "Stay out of this, Fang Duobing," he warned, his voice low and dangerous. "This is between me and the Master."

Frustration and fear coursed through Fang Duobing's veins as he watched Di Feisheng's unwavering determination.

"Fei, I won't let you harm him," Fang Duobing's voice was firm, his eyes blazing with resolve. "Step aside, or face the consequences."

But Di Feisheng showed no signs of backing down, his own sword drawn in readiness for the impending clash. With a steely gaze, he met Fang Duobing's challenge head-on, his stance unwavering as he prepared to defend his course of action.

Fang Duobing moved with an otherworldly grace, his robes billowing around him like ethereal wings as he danced effortlessly across the courtyard. His hair, caught in the gentle breeze, seemed to shimmer with a mystical light, casting an enchanting aura around him.

Di Feisheng, his face contorted with rage, fought with a fierce determination, his movements fueled by an overwhelming desire to emerge victorious. But despite his skill, he found himself mesmerized by Fang Duobing's mesmerizing presence, his focus momentarily faltering as he struggled to keep pace.

With a swift and fluid motion, Fang Duobing launched a flurry of strikes, his sword whirling through the air with precision and grace. Caught off guard by Fang Duobing's supernatural allure, Di Feisheng stumbled backward, his grip on his sword weakening with each passing moment.

And then, in a moment of sheer frustration, Di Feisheng's sword slipped from his grasp, soaring through the air with a forceful arc. It collided with the stone mirror that stood nearby, the surface shattering into a thousand shards.

"Enough!" Li Lianhua's command echoed like a thunderclap, his tone brooking no argument. "What madness is this? Have you both lost your senses?"

Reluctantly, Fang obeyed, lowering his sword as the tension in the air dissipated and in that moment of reflection, Li Lianhua couldn't shake the worry gnawing at him – the fear that once Di Feisheng regained his power, he would seek retribution against Fang Duobing.

As the mirror shattered, revealing the hidden compartment within, everybody froze in stunned silence. There, nestled within the fragments of glass, Shi Hun's diary.

With trembling hands, Li Lianhua approached the shattered mirror as he retrieved the diary, tears filled his eyes. With a mixture of fear and hope, he opened it, praying for closure, for a glimpse of where his seniors' remains lay.

In the shade of an ancient tree, the workers of the Manor dug tirelessly, their hands caked with dirt as they unearthed a hidden secret. With each scoop of earth, anticipation grew, mingled with a sense of somber purpose.

Finally, the moment arrived – the coffin, weathered and worn, emerged from its earthen cocoon. Li Lianhua approached with a mix of apprehension and hope, his heart pounding in his chest.

With shaking hands, he lifted the lid, revealing the solemn figure within. Tears pricked at his eyes as he beheld the face of his senior, lying peacefully in the embrace of death.

Emotions surged within him – sorrow, grief, but also a profound sense of relief. Relief that he had found his senior at last, that he could offer him the dignity of a proper burial.

Kneeling beside the coffin, Li Lianhua whispered a silent prayer, his tears mingling with the earth below. Li Lianhua prepared to lay his senior to rest, he vowed to honor his memory with every fiber of his being, a testament to the enduring bonds of loyalty and love.

To be continued...