Chapter 28: Fang Duobing's activated pheromones

Di Feisheng's grip tightened around Fang Duobing's neck. "Who the hell are you? Why are you trying to kill me." he retorted sharply.

"I saved you from drowning, and this is how you repay me?" Fang Duobing struggled to loosen Di Feisheng's vice-like grip.

With a sudden release, Di Feisheng examined himself, then stared at his palms, which bore a cryptic message: "Find Li Lianhua."

"Why do you need to find Li Lianhua?" Fang Duobing asked, perplexed.

Di Feisheng appeared confused. "Who am I? And who is Li Lianhua?" he questioned, his voice laced with uncertainty.

Fang Duobing examined him closely, noting signs of memory loss. "He must have amnesia," he concluded, checking Di Feisheng's pulse. "And he's been poisoned."

"You're Di Feisheng, the leader-" Fang Duobing paused, a mischievous thought crossing his mind. "And I am your master."

Di Feisheng eyed him skeptically. "That's hard to believe. You seem much younger than me."

"Then call me Master Fang," Fang Duobing replied, giving him a light slap on the shoulder. "Let's head to Baichuan Court."

As they journeyed to Baichuan Court, Di Feisheng bombarded Fang Duobing with questions, to which Fang Duobing provided evasive answers.

"If Li Lianhua is truly involved with Di Feisheng, I must observe his reaction," Fang Duobing pondered, instructing the cartman to divert the carriage towards Lotus Tower.

[Lotus Tower]

Fang Duobing's eyes blazed with anger as he confronted Li Lianhua. "You knew all along that he was Di Feisheng, the leader of the Jinyuan alliance!"

Li Lianhua's expression remained composed, but there was a flicker of guilt in his eyes. "I had my suspicions, but I couldn't be sure," he replied calmly, though his voice wavered slightly.

"You're lying!" Fang Duobing's voice rose, his frustration boiling over. "You've been keeping secrets from me this whole time."

"I did it to protect you," Li Lianhua protested, his tone pleading. "I didn't want you to get involved in something dangerous."

"Protect me?" Fang Duobing scoffed. "By deceiving me? By putting both of us in danger?"

"I thought I could handle it," Li Lianhua admitted, his voice tinged with regret. "I didn't anticipate things getting out of control."

"Out of control?" Fang Duobing's voice was incredulous. "Do you have any idea what you've done?"

Fang Duobing paced back and forth, his agitation palpable. "I trusted you, Li Lianhua. I trusted you with my life, and you betrayed that trust."

Li Lianhua's shoulders slumped, his expression pained. "I'm sorry, Fang Duobing. I never meant to betray you. I was just trying to do what I thought was right."

"Right?" Fang Duobing scoffed bitterly. "There's nothing right about lying to me, putting me in danger, and keeping me in the dark about Di Feisheng's true identity."

"I know," Li Lianhua said softly, his voice tinged with remorse. "I know I messed up, and I'll do whatever it takes to make things right."

Fang Duobing shook his head in disbelief, "How do I even know if I can trust you anymore?"

"I made a mistake, okay?" Li Lianhua's voice cracked with frustration. "But I didn't do it to deceive you. I did it because I care about you."

Fang Duobing's anger softened slightly, but suspicion still lingered in his eyes. "I won't make any promises until I find any solid evidence proving you are not involved with Di Feisheng."