Chapter 40: Li Xiangyi weds Qiao Wanmian

Sitting at the tea table, Li Xiangyi and Wan Mian shared a quiet moment together before the wedding day. The atmosphere was tense as they sipped their tea.

Wan Mian glanced at Li Xiangyi, her eyes filled with longing. "Tomorrow is our big day. Are you excited, my love?"

Li Xiangyi forced a smile, though his heart felt heavy. "Of course, I am," he replied, his voice lacking its usual warmth.

Wan Mian reached out to touch his hand, but he withdrew slightly. "Is everything alright, Xiangyi?" she asked, concern evident in her voice.

Li Xiangyi hesitated before answering. "I... I'm just nervous about tomorrow. It's a big step," he said, his gaze drifting away.

Wan Mian's expression softened, understanding dawning in her eyes. "I know it's not easy for you. But remember, I'll always be by your side," she reassured him, squeezing his hand gently.

Li Xiangyi managed a small nod, but his mind was elsewhere. He couldn't shake the feeling that something was missing, that the love he once felt for Wan Mian had long faded away. Yet, he knew he had to go through with the wedding for her sake, even if his own heart wasn't fully in it anymore.

On the wedding day, the Sigu Sect was adorned with traditional Chinese decorations, symbolizing prosperity, happiness, and good fortune. Red lanterns hung from every corner, casting a warm glow over the courtyard. Delicate cherry blossom branches adorned the entrance, signifying love and new beginnings.

Guests arrived dressed in their finest attire, their footsteps echoing against the ancient stone pathways. Each guest carried a small gift, wrapped in red and gold paper, to present to the newlyweds as a symbol of their blessings.

Meanwhile, the bride, Wan Mian, was meticulously prepared by her attendants. Her hair was adorned with intricate hairpins and a delicate red silk veil cascaded down her back, symbolizing happiness and good luck. Her crimson wedding gown, embroidered with golden dragons and phoenixes, shimmered in the sunlight, a symbol of prosperity and marital bliss.

Across the courtyard, the groom, Li Xiangyi, was also getting ready. He donned a traditional black silk robe embroidered with gold thread, a symbol of his status and wealth. His hair was neatly arranged, adorned with a single white flower, representing purity and fidelity.

As the guests gathered in anticipation, the wooden bridge leading to the main hall was adorned with red silk banners and fresh flowers, creating a picturesque scene. The air was filled with excitement and anticipation as everyone awaited the arrival of the bride and groom, ready to witness the union of two souls in love.

As Li Xiangyi prepared for his wedding, Wan Mian's maid entered his chamber, bearing a letter and a sword. Li Xiangyi's eyes widened with surprise as he examined the shaoshi sword, his brow furrowed with confusion, his mind lost in a tumult of memories. Yun Biqiu who was there in the room with him observed his reaction, concern flickering in his eyes.

Li Xiangyi's heart pounded in his chest as the vivid memories played out in his mind like scenes from a forgotten dream. He could feel the warmth of the man's presence beside him, his laughter echoing in the depths of his soul. But as the figure turned to face him, a veil of darkness obscured the features, leaving only a void where the face should have been.

The guests were all waiting in a big room, looking around at the pretty decorations and bright candles. Fang Duobing was there too, feeling nervous. His heart was pounding fast, and he felt unsure about what to do. Would he be okay when he saw Li Xiangyi? Would he be able to move on from the past and look towards the future?

As Li Xiangyi stood on the stage, his heart pounded in his chest like a drumbeat echoing in his ears. Despite the celebratory atmosphere surrounding him, he couldn't shake the feeling of unease gnawing at his insides. His smile felt forced, his movements stiff and unnatural.