Chapter 33: Fang Duobing's first love

Later that night, Fang Duobing's mother sat him down for a heart-to-heart conversation, her eyes filled with concern. "Fang Duobing, I've noticed how much you care for Li Lianhua. Are you in love with him?"

Fang Duobing's expression turned serious as he shook his head. "No, Mother. Li Lianhua is just a friend," he replied firmly, though his heart betrayed a different sentiment.

His mother studied him for a moment before gently urging him, "If you do have feelings for him, there's no shame in admitting it, my dear. Love is a beautiful thing."

Fang Duobing remained resolute. "I assure you, Mother, there's nothing more than friendship between us," he insisted, though the turmoil in his heart told a different story, "and... he's already in love with someone else," he admitted, his voice filled with resignation.

"And who might that be?" she pressed, but Fang Duobing remained silent, unable to bring himself to utter the name.

"You wasted so many years pining for Li Xiangyi, and now you're willing to let go of someone who truly cares for you? When will you learn to seize happiness for yourself?" she chastised, her disappointment evident in her tone.

Fang Duobing remained silent, his heart heavy with conflicting emotions. He knew his mother was right, but he couldn't shake the feeling of guilt and uncertainty.

"I just don't want to complicate things," he finally confessed, his voice barely above a whisper. "Li Lianhua deserves someone who can give him their whole heart."

His mother sighed, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Love is never simple, my dear. But sometimes, it's worth fighting for," she said gently, her words carrying the weight of wisdom born from experience.

Fang Duobing's mother could sense his inner turmoil and pressed on, her concern evident in her voice. "But what about your own happiness, Fang? Don't you deserve a chance at love too?"

"I don't know," Fang Duobing replied, frustration creeping into his tone. "All I know is that I can't risk ruining our friendship by confessing my feelings."

His mother shook her head, her eyes filled with a mix of sympathy and exasperation. "You can't live your life in fear, Fang. Sometimes, you have to take a chance, even if it means risking everything."

"I've already lost enough," Fang Duobing muttered bitterly, his emotions bubbling to the surface. "I won't lose anymore."

With that, he stood up abruptly, his chair scraping against the floor as he pushed it back. "I'm done talking about this," he declared, his voice laced with frustration. "I need some time alone."

And with that, Fang Duobing stormed out of the room, leaving his mother behind with a heavy heart and unanswered questions lingering in the air.

As Fang Duobing stormed out, his mother's gaze shifted, and she noticed Li Lianhua standing in the doorway, his expression unreadable.

The Next Morning, 

"Madam, there's news! Li Lianhua's face, it's plastered all over the village! He's been added to the Blade List!"

Fang Duobing's heart skipped a beat at the shocking revelation. Without a moment's hesitation, he sprang into action, fueled by a surge of determination and concern. "Prepare the horses," he commanded, his voice resolute. "I must go to Baichuan Academy at once."

On the other side,

Li Lianhua entered the breakfast hall with a weary expression, his thoughts still clouded with the revelations of the previous night. Despite his inner turmoil, he greeted Fang Duobing's mother with a polite smile and took a seat at the table.