Chapter 15: The secret of the lotus pond

As they strolled back to the lotus tower, Li Lianhua decided to express his gratitude to Fang Duobing, albeit with a touch of sarcasm. "You've been working so hard," he remarked, a hint of irony lacing his words. In reality, he was still seething with anger over Fang Duobing's reckless actions that had nearly cost him his life.

Unaware of Li Lianhua's true feelings, Fang Duobing smiled innocently, oblivious to what was about to unfold. Before he could react, Li Lianhua seized his hand, declaring, "Let me cook you something special tonight."

Fang Duobing's heart sank as he realized what was happening. He knew all too well about Li Lianhua's terrible cooking skills. Desperately, Fang Duobing attempted to wriggle out of the situation. "Oh, Li Lianhua, you're too kind, but I think I might have eaten something earlier that didn't agree with me," he grimaced, hoping his excuses would be enough to escape.

But Li Lianhua remained undeterred, his determination unwavering as he led Fang Duobing to the table set for their ill-fated meal. Fang Duobing, now trapped, resorted to making all sorts of promises to avoid the dreaded soup.

"Li Lianhua, I promise to help you with any chores you want for a week if you let me off the hook this time," Fang Duobing pleaded, his voice tinged with desperation.

Li Lianhua raised an eyebrow, but his resolve remained firm. "Sorry, Fang, but I'm determined to show off my cooking skills tonight," he replied, oblivious to Fang Duobing's attempts to escape.

Fang Duobing's mind raced as he searched for another way out. "Li Lianhua, I'll do all your task for a month if you just let me go!" he exclaimed, his voice cracking with desperation.

But to Fang Duobing's dismay, Li Lianhua simply chuckled and shook his head. "Nice try, Fang, but there's no escaping my culinary prowess tonight," he declared, a mischievous glint in his eye.

Fang Duobing sat across from Li Lianhua, who was serving him the suspicious soup with a sarcastic smile plastered on his face. Fang Duobing shot a pleading glance at Di Feisheng, hoping for some support, but found him thoroughly entertained by the spectacle unfolding before him.

Growing increasingly agitated, Fang Duobing couldn't resist firing off a snarky remark. "Enjoying yourself, are you?" he muttered, his tone laced with annoyance as he exchanged heated words with Di Feisheng.

However, before their bickering could escalate any further, Li Lianhua suddenly intervened, his voice sharp with impatience. "Enough!" he scolded, his frustration palpable as he pushed the bowl of soup towards Fang Duobing. "Stop stalling and just drink the soup already!"

Fang Duobing cautiously took a sip of the soup, bracing himself for the worst. Much to his surprise, the taste wasn't as terrible as he had anticipated. In fact, it was rather pleasant, with a subtle fragrance tantalizing his senses.

Perplexed by the unusual flavor, Fang Duobing furrowed his brow and turned to Li Lianhua. "Where did you get the lotus for this soup?" he inquired, curiosity piqued by the unexpected taste.

With a smirk, Li Lianhua leaned back in his chair, a mischievous glint in his eye. "I borrowed it from the Manor's housekeeper," he confessed, a hint of pride evident in his voice.

Fang Duobing's eyes widened in realization, the pieces of the puzzle clicking into place. "Ah, that explains the unusual color and fragrance," he mused, nodding in understanding.

Fang Duobing abruptly halted in his tracks, his expression turning serious. "I need to check something. Are you both coming or not?" he asked, his tone commanding.

Li Lianhua and Di Feisheng exchanged glances, sensing the urgency in Fang Duobing's voice. Without hesitation, they followed him to the bridge where they had been earlier that morning, the lotuses surrounding them in serene stillness.

As they stood at the edge of the pond, Fang Duobing's keen instincts kicked in. "There must be something beneath this pond," he declared, his eyes scanning the tranquil surface with determination.

Recognizing Li Lianhua's weakened state, Fang Duobing made a quick decision. "Li Lianhua, you stay here. Fei, you're in better shape. Go and check what's under the water," he ordered, his voice firm and unwavering.

"Who are you to order me?" Di Feisheng shot him an irritable glare, clearly not appreciating being bossed around. Tensions flared, and before long, their disagreement escalated into a heated argument.

"Stop it, both of you!" Li Lianhua intervened, his voice tinged with urgency. "You'll wake everyone in the manor."

But the warning fell on deaf ears as Fang Duobing and Di Feisheng continued to exchange heated words, their tempers reaching a boiling point. In a fit of frustration, Fang Duobing lashed out, delivering a powerful punch that sent Di Feisheng tumbling into the water below.

As Di Feisheng splashed into the pond, he cursed Fang Duobing vehemently, his words dripping with venom. "I will not forget this," he spat, his voice echoing across the tranquil surface of the water.

"Why did you provoke him?" Li Lianhua's voice cut through the tension, drawing Fang Duobing's attention away from his momentary triumph. As Li Lianhua approached, Fang Duobing's smile faltered, replaced by a hint of defensiveness.

"What do you mean? Do you think I bullied him?" Fang Duobing's tone carried a touch of anger, though beneath the surface lurked a hint of jealousy. He couldn't shake the feeling that Li Lianhua was favoring Di Feisheng too much.

"I'm trying to help you, Fang. You need to stay away from Fei, especially after what happened at Cailian Manor," Li Lianhua urged, his voice tinged with concern. However, he couldn't reveal the full extent of his fears to Fang Duobing – the true danger that Di Feisheng posed, especially once his powers were restored.

Fang Duobing bristled at the implication, his frustration bubbling to the surface. "You don't understand," he retorted, his temper flaring. But before he could unleash his full fury, his tirade was cut short by the sudden appearance of Di Feisheng.

"What... what is that?" Fang Duobing stammered, his voice trembling with disbelief.

Di Feisheng's expression was grave as he explained, "These are human remains. And there are many more down there. The lotus here... they're being fertilized by these bodies."

Li Lianhua's face paled at the revelation, his stomach churning with revulsion. "So that's why the lotus soup tasted so strange..." he murmured, his words barely above a whisper.

Fang Duobing's hands trembled as he clutched the railing of the bridge, struggling to process the horrifying truth. "But... but how could this happen?" his stomach churned in disgust as he recalled tasting the soup just moments before. 

As Fang Duobing doubled over, heaving from the nausea induced by the gruesome revelation, Di Feisheng couldn't resist a jab at his expense.

"Well, well, it seems our fearless warrior isn't as tough as he thought," Di Feisheng remarked, a sardonic smirk playing on his lips. "Can't handle a little bit of truth, huh?"

Fang Duobing shot him a withering glare between retches, his stomach churning with both disgust and fury. "Shut up, Fei," he spat, his voice strained with the effort of trying to compose himself.

"Oh, come on, Fang. Where's that fearless demeanor of yours now?" he teased, his tone laced with mockery.

"Let's go now. Will ask the master tomorrow for more details." Li Lianhua yawned as the three of them retreated to their room to sleep.

Just as Fang Duobing was about to enter his own room, Di Feisheng's hand shot out, gripping his arm with surprising force. Startled, Fang Duobing turned to face him, only to find himself pressed against the wall, trapped by Di Feisheng's intense gaze.

"I will remember this," Di Feisheng declared, his voice low and menacing, sending shivers down Fang Duobing's spine. "And I won't let you off the hook that easily."

Their faces mere inches apart, Di Feisheng lifted Fang Duobing's chin with a firm touch, his eyes burning with determination. "I will come back for you," he vowed, his words hanging in the air with a weight that sent a chill through Fang Duobing's veins.

to be continued...