Chapter 44 : Furious

In the quiet of the night, the Crown Prince paced the palace halls, his mind heavy with thoughts. He replayed his encounter with Freya over and over, each detail etched vividly in his memory.

As he reflected on his words and actions, a wave of guilt washed over him. He couldn't shake the feeling that he had let Freya down, questioning his own judgment and sanity in the process.

Following his usual routine, the Crown Prince made his way to the chambers they once shared, hoping for a brief glimpse of Freya before retiring for the night. However, upon arrival, he found her absence alarming, and a sense of panic began to rise within him.

"Guards!" he called out urgently, prompting them to quickly approach. "Where is Freya?" he inquired with genuine concern evident in his voice.

The guards exchanged nervous glances before swiftly springing into action, determined to carry out the Crown Prince's urgent command. "Find her, now!"

His heart raced with worry. How could Freya have left in the middle of the night, especially in her condition?

The palace erupted into chaos as word spread, rousing even the sleeping servants from their beds. Everyone joined the frantic search for Freya, their concern mirroring that of the Crown Prince.

While the palace was in chaos, Freya on the other hand along with Luisa, decided to stay in an inn at the capital for the meantime.

"Your Highness, are you sure you're alright? Do you want me to prepare your bath?" Luisa suggested.

Freya faintly smiled. "I'm fine, and stop addressing me as your highness, call me Madame from now on."

"Alright, Madame."

As night fell and they found themselves stranded without transportation, Freya couldn't help but worry about her health and the safety of her unborn child.

Sleep evaded Freya as she replayed the recent events in her mind. She couldn't ignore the fact that the baby she carried was Zavier's, not Vik's. Despite feeling hurt by Zavier's words, she couldn't deny the truth behind them.

She struggled, thinking about Zavier's perspective of how could he forgive someone who had betrayed him so deeply? The decision to leave without telling Zavier weighed heavily on her conscience, leaving her with what-ifs as she faced an uncertain future.

I hope things would get better soon...

The following morning, Freya awoke to find Felix seated across from her, his expression stern. "Finally up. Care to explain yourself?" he demanded.

With a furrowed brow, Freya responded, "Give me a moment, I just woke up. Can't I even have a coffee first?"

Rolling his eyes, Felix regarded her seriously. "The palace is in panic. He's been searching for you since last night. So, what's your decision? Are you staying or leaving?"

Taking a moment to ponder, Freya considered Felix's presence, knowing he was there because of the letter she had sent him in secret. Now, he was offering her a choice. "I don't want to cause him any more pain. Take me somewhere far."

"Father already knows," Felix revealed.

Freya's confusion turned to frustration and anger at Felix's disclosure. "Why would you tell him when I specifically asked you not to?"

"I didn't. He found the letter before I could. Quit giving me that look. You've always been his favorite, so he's allowing me to take you east," Felix explained.

Freya recalled what Tia had mentioned about the east-a serene destination often frequented by nobles for its tropical weather and relaxed lifestyle, a far cry from the hustle and bustle of the capital.

Letting out a sigh, Freya asked, "Are we leaving right now?"

Felix raised an eyebrow, arms crossed. "Aren't you going to grab a cup of coffee first?"

Before Freya could respond, Luisa burst into the room. "Wait, Your Highness-princess! Coffee isn't recommended for pregnant women. Please refrain from drinking some!" Both Freya and Felix flinched at her sudden entrance and warning. "Here your-I mean Madame, a glass of milk."

In the tranquility of her private garden, the Empress shared a moment over tea with Marquis Bardoñia when news of Freya's disappearance reached them.

"Excellent," she remarked. "Everything is falling into place, thanks to that useful son of yours, Victor."

The Marquis smirked in agreement. "He's certainly inherited that from me, although I fear he may be on the edge of madness. Don't you agree?"

"It's not that I lack concern, after falling for that woman who ended up betraying him. It would be natural for the consequences of his action to run after him dear," she replied, taking a sip of her tea.

"Enough about him. What of the Emperor?" the Marquis inquired eagerly. "When will he ascend to the heavens?"

Ellaine nudged him playfully. "It's happening. He's been becoming more ill these days."

Victor's excitement was palpable. "Perfect! Then we'll finally be united, my love."

A subtle smile played on Ellaine's lips. "Yes, indeed... we will, my dear." But beneath the facade, a scent of betrayal lingered in the air.

Suddenly, Zavier burst into the garden, causing the Marquis to visibly flinch while Ellaine maintained a composed smile. "Yes, dear? What brings you here, my beloved son?" she greeted him warmly.

"Cut the act. Where is Freya?" Zavier demanded without preamble.

Ellaine blinked innocently. "Freya? I truly don't know, my dear. By the time I woke up, everyone was already in a frenzy."

Zavier's anger simmered. "Whatever scheme that you're planning, stop it. You may have fooled my father, but you won't fool me." With a furious glance at the Marquis, he stormed out of the room.

Leaning closer to Ellaine, the Marquis whispered, "Did you really have a hand in Freya's disappearance?"

"Absolutely not. I believe this is solely his doing, and now he's chosen to pin it on me," she replied calmly, her smile never faltering.

"I trust you completely, my love. What's our next step?" he asked with anticipation, as Freya gently placed her tea cup down.

She took his hand in hers, their fingers intertwining. "Darling, I need you to find Freya and make sure she's being watched. Can you do that for me?" she asked, her voice carrying both authority and tenderness.

The man nodded eagerly, like a devoted partner ready to fulfill her request.

_______________

A/N: Hello there, dear readers! I see so far you like reading this story of mine, I am publishing a new story soon with the same genre as this one so I hope you'd check that out too!

The Real Villainess 1 year Special is coming up sooner that you expect! I will soon be uploading a special chapter just for this event and so you can message me here or message me on X for what you wish to include in the Special Chapter!

X | @pauline132738