Chapter 14

2X22

The Name of the Game 

"Who doesn't know Madonna?" Cristina asked, as everyone sits in the OR. 

"Sore loser." Juliette replied. 

"I am not a sore loser. You know, and so what if I am? See, the whole point of games is that there's a winner. A first place. You want a second best surgeon operating on you? No, you want the very best. And second best is mediocre. And to settle for mediocrity is...is frankly, you know, a sign of self-loathing and substandard work ethics. I've gotta get George out of my apartment." Cristina says. 

"You know, you could sleep with him and then right in the middle start crying. It's painful and humiliating and unbelievably cruel, but apparently it works." Meredith says. 

"Would you just keep knitting? Kick him out so that he can come back home to us. " Izzie replied. 

"No, I can't kick him out. You know, he's Burke's puppy. It's gotta be Burke's idea. I just gotta figure out a way to make him do it." Cristina says. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Uh, Dr. Bailey! You have an extra intern?" Derek asked, him and Juliette walking up to Bailey. 

"I'm available." Bailey says. 

"No, no, no, no. I said intern." Derek replied. 

"Shepherd, look at the board." Bailey says. 

"Ok. What am I looking at?" Derek asked, looking at the board. 

"My name isn't up there." Bailey says. "It wasn't up there yesterday and it won't be tomorrow." 

"What'd you do piss of the Chief?" Juliette questioned. 

"Yeah. I pissed off the Chief. I went and had a baby. I gave birth. I created a human life. I'm a surgeon. We don't do that. He's mommy tracking me." Bailey responded. 

"He's just going easy on you." Derek says. 

"No, I change diapers, I clean spit up, I sing the ABC's. I'm covered in mommy. But that does not mean I will be mommy tracked." Bailey says. 

"You're freaking out." Juliette says. 

"I just need a surgery. I need a surgery, now. So for today, I'm your intern. I have not begun to freak out." 

"All right. Come on." Derek tells both Bailey and Juliette. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 "How we doing?" Derek asked the doctor, as Derek, Juliette and Bailey were in surgery  

"Turning the skull flap. Patient's sedated." Doctor responded. 

"Very nice. Nicely done." Derek replied. 

"He's a kid." Bailey says. 

 "Yes." 

"I just didn't think it would be a kid." Bailey says, "A tumor that size...What happens now?" 

 "Now we wake him up." Derek replied. 

 "We're doing awake brain surgery on him." Juliette says. 

"Yes. Thank you. Andrew? A little more. Andrew? Can you hear me? Hey, want to count for me?" Derek questioned. 

 "One..."