chapter 16

02X26

Deterioration of the Fight or Flight Response

AT Seattle Grace Hospital:

"Izzie. His heart's barely beating. We need to call a code. I can't feel a pulse. Izzie, we need to call a code!" George shouts at her. 

"No! I have a plan." Izzie replied. 

"He's crashing! I need to call the..." George starts. 

"No! If we call a code, they will rush him to surgery and replace his LVAD and then he will stabilize. He needs to get worse if he's gonna get this heart." Izzie said. 

"Izzie, this is crazy." George spoke. 

 "He has to get this heart." Izzie says. "He will die waiting for another chance. You know he will." 

"We have to call a code!" George tells Izzie. 

 "No! You press that code button, I will hurt you. Not a lot, cause we're friends, but enough so that things will break and you will lie on the floor out of my way." Izzie replied. 

 "Izzie..." George said. 

"You have a decision to make." Izzie  says. "You can stay here and help me with this or you can go. What's it gonna be, George?" 

Mercy West

"We should be hearing from Dr. Burke any minute." Juliette tells the doctors. 

"That's what you said half an hour ago." Erica replied. "Well, whether or not we hear from him, we hit that hour mark, I'm going in to get my heart."

Back to Seattle Grace:

"George's page said it was an emergency." Meredith said, walking into denny's room. 

"You paged Meredith?" Izzie asked George.

"We need help!" George replied. 

"What the hell is going on?" Meredith questioned. 

Before anyone can reply Cristina comes into the Room. "What the hell is going on?" she asked. 

"Exactly what I said." Meredith replied. 

"She cut his LVAD wires!" George tells them. 

"What do you mean you cut his LVAD wires?" Meredith asked. 

"Are you trying to kill him?" Cristina questioned Izzie. 

 "I'm trying to save him. All I have to do is confirm that his condition is worse, then Burke can call UNOS and he'll move up on the list and he will get his heart." Izzie responded. 

"About Burke..." Cristina starts. 

"She's gone insane, right? It's not just me?" George asked. 

"About Burke..." Cristina speaks again. 

"Everything will be fine!" Izzie says. 

"Izzie!" Meredith replied. 

 "When Burke gets here, everything will be fine. He will know what to do." Izzie said. 

"About Burke..." Cristina said. 

"What?" George asked annoyed. 

"He's been shot!" Cristina tells them. 

"Burke's not coming?" Izzie questioned, was George pumps denny's heart. 

"Cristina, are you ok?" Meredith asked.