Chapter 2

Josie slowly opened her eyes. Her mother, Wren, was standing over her, with a big smile on her face.

"Morning, Mom..."

"Morning, birthday girl!"

Josie snapped awake, remembering. "Oh, right! It's my birthday today!"

Wren nodded. "It is indeed. Happy birthday!"

"Are we doing something fun?" Josie asked, as she threw the covers to the side and got out of bed.

"Well, I was thinking. You're eight now... so I've decided that you can choose! Within reason, of course."

"You're letting me choose?!" Josie couldn't contain her excitement. Squealing with joy, she ran around her room, picking up a set of clothes for the day. "I already know where I want to go!"

"We'll discuss it downstairs with your sisters. For now..." Wren looked around disapprovingly at Josie's bedroom. "Get dressed, and tidy your room. It's an absolute mess!"

"But Mom..."

Wren chuckled. "Just because it's your birthday doesn't mean you're clear of responsibilities."

Josie sighed as her mother left. Slowly, she picked up one of her shirts that was lying on the ground, and took it to the laundry basket by the door. But then she thought of where she might go later on, and picked up the pace, finishing in under ten minutes. Changing into the clothes she had picked out earlier, she ran downstairs, to where Wren was serving up some food. Her two sisters, Layla and Azaleah, were sat at the table. Layla, as usual, was typing away on her laptop, and barely looked up at Josie's arrival. Azaleah, however, immediately jumped up from the table and gave Josie a hug.

"Happy birthday, sis! Have you decided where you want to go yet?"

Josie nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah! And it's somewhere I've never gone before!"

Azaleah shared a glance with Wren, who shrugged. Neither of them knew where Josie was thinking of.

Layla's laptop screen flashed red. "Of course they'd think of that..."

Josie looked at the middle sibling. "What are you doing?"

"Trying to access the Nasrica database."

"Layla..." Wren wasn't pleased. "I keep telling you how risky these hacking projects are, yet you still continue. Do you... not care?"

"I'm not changing anything!" Layla protested. "I'm only testing my abilities!"

"And you understand what happens if I find people at my front door asking about your actions?"

"Yes, Mom..." Layla grumbled. "But I'm staying in today, I need to figure out another way in."

"Absolutely not," Wren countered. "Of all days, you can spare today for your younger sister."

Layla groaned, looking towards Josie, silently pleading for her younger sister to allow her to stay behind.

Josie shook her head. "You never go with us... Please? Just for today?"

Layla glared at her sister, before closing her laptop. "Fine. I just hope you picked somewhere that isn't some kid's play area."

"Not this time..." Josie earned another glance from Wren and Azaleah, who seemed surprised, as Josie almost always chose that. "Mom, you know how you sometimes get me these random pieces of metal to play with?"