Chapter 35

"What's this place?"

"You'll be staying here for a while," Amelix replied.

"Who's that?" Emily asked, arriving downstairs to meet Amelix, and noticing Alice. "That's not the Nasric I saw."

"She knows 2-21, and yes, you had the right Nasric all along. Cybal will hopefully make a trade later on, and we'll get her here that way."

"Deadline?"

"No. I have no intention of killing her. However, if Cybal is willing to leave her with me forever, then that's her choice and we'll get the prototype some other way."

"Oh, you want Stardust as your friend? She's great. Seems like she knows what's best, just like Cybal."

"Shut it," Emily growled. "Really, Amelix? You told me Alice was dumb, but you still took her as the bargaining chip?"

Amelix shrugged. "Easier target, and Cybal would be more likely to try and come back than Alice would be."

Alice looked around. "This place looks... very clean!"

"Emily, take her downstairs. Then head out, and keep an eye on Cybal. She likely won't get far in the time it takes you to secure Alice, so it shouldn't be hard to find her."

"Right. And if I see 2-21?"

"Don't let her get away a second time. But also prepare yourself. She packs a surprising punch."

Emily nodded, before grabbing Alice's arm.

"Oh, where are we going?"

Emily didn't reply, pulling Alice down the stairs.

Amelix closed up the gap in the building, before heading up towards Layla's room. As usual, she didn't bother knocking.

Layla slowly rolled over to face Amelix as she opened the door. "What now?"

"Get up."

"Can't get a good night's sleep around here, I guess..." Layla grumbled, slowly getting out of bed. "You said you'd get anything I asked for when you had the time, right?"

"Irrelevant to the current situation. I have something I need you to do."

"And I'll do it, but can I at least ask for stuff?"

"If you can say it in ten seconds."

Layla groaned. "Some spare clothes would be nice, since repeatedly wearing these is starting to not feel as good."

"Fine, I'll do that when I can. Emily says you're running low on food as well, so the two can be done in one trip. Now get up," Amelix commanded.

"I'm up, I'm up. What do you need?"

"We have a new resident here. You will be watching over her."

"Ugh, social stuff? Can't Emily do it?"

"No, she has her own tasks."

"Fine." Layla pulled her shoes on and grabbed her laptop, sensing that the next several hours would be boring otherwise. "Where are they?"

"Follow me." Amelix brought Layla to a holding cell on the floor below the entrance, where Emily had just finished locking Alice. The wall of the cell was made of metal bars, spaced so that a Nasric could slip between them, but someone the size of a Trialian couldn't. Looking around, this floor had several other cells, all of which were empty. Some cells looked much more suited to hold Nasrics. Strangely, there was no staircase downwards, and the floor was made of carpet.

"This is where I'll be staying?" Alice asked. "Cool."

"You'll be monitored by Layla," Amelix explained, as Emily went upstairs to fetch her staff. "She's here to get you any reasonable things you ask for, and to make sure you don't do anything stupid, like try to escape."