Chapter 39

Cybal emerged from the building she'd been in for the last hour, looking as good as new. Having figured that Stardust had probably found somewhere safe, she'd made the decision to find a repair shop and get herself fixed. Beyu had revealed that money wasn't really a thing in Pronio, and everyone instead worked to keep the city running. They all seemed to have a suspicion of what would happen if they let things fall into disarray.

What now?

"I don't know, Beyu. Stardust could've gone anywhere, and Alice is stuck with Amelix. I never thought Amelix would be like that..."

You knew her before?

"Yep. She would visit Izzy every so often, and they'd talk about Nasrics. She seemed to have a fascination with Alice and I, and then 2-14."

Beyu had a thought. Do you think that she was using Izzy for her own gain?

"To try and obtain a prototype Nasric for herself? Yeah. That much is pretty obvious now. And she's cut my connection to Izzy as well..."

I think we should try and find Stardust, and hope she ditched Bel.

"I agree. Maybe we'll even run into 2-14 again, but I doubt she'll want to talk to us."

Judging by the name, I'm guessing that's another prototype.

Cybal suddenly felt something on the back of her head, something cold and wet. It wasn't raining, so this confused her enough to turn around. Standing in front of her was what she could only describe as walking slime, starting directly at her.

I'm already confused. Beyu's comment went unseen.

"Who... no. What are you?"

Berria stared at Cybal, before bringing her hand up to her face and shaking her head.

"You can't speak?"

Another shake of the head.

"Did something we said catch your interest?"

Berria began to nod. She rushed over to a nearby wall, and started moving her hand around on it. Cybal and Beyu followed, and stared at the three numbers made from residual slime. They were all too familiar to Cybal, Beyu remained perplexed.

"Right. You know where 2-14 is?"

Nodding once again, Berria brought Cybal and Beyu to the same grate that Astrid had left her guarding, and pointed.

"She went down here?" Cybal stared down the open hole. There wasn't a chance of her fitting inside.

Beyu nudged Cybal's leg to give his own comment. I don't feel like going down there either.

Berria had to think. She had an idea, but it was too complex for her to explain without a voice. Instead, she pointed at Beyu's screen.

What?

Berria's hands, somewhat able to shapeshift due to her being able to control the slime, grew fingers. She mimicked typing.

My screen isn't touch sensitive. That won't work.

Cybal sighed. "Do you know another way to get to wherever this leads?"

Berria perked up, nodding yet again. She started heading in the direction of the city's entrance. Cybal and Beyu looked at each other, and followed.

As they continued, Cybal slowly realised that they were heading directly away from the city centre. "As much as I do want to be getting away from that place, is it really a good idea? I mean, are you sure you can get us to wherever that hole leads to?"