Chapter 28

As Josie headed towards her room for bed, Seven decided to check out the bathroom. She'd not been in there before, and was surprised when she looked in the mirror. This was her first time seeing her own face, and she noticed how the round screens that she had for eyes changed depending on where she was looking, or what emotion she had. They could even blink.

She looked down at her hand, noting how she was able to move it however she wanted. Then, she looked at the mirror again, and tried to control the screens. Sure enough, it worked. Her eyes took on various shapes, and Seven could even make them show text.

That's when she had an idea. Letting her eyes return to their default state, she rushed back to Josie's room, where Wren was preparing Josie's clothes for the next day, and Josie was sat up in her bed.

"Are you fine with this tomorrow?" Wren asked, holding up a hot pink skirt.

"Yeah!" Josie replied happily, before noticing Seven. "Oh, Mom, do you have something Seven could use as a cover for her bed?"

Wren looked at Josie, then at Seven. "I could use one of your shirts for the time being, and get something from the shops tomorrow."

"That works," Seven replied, getting on the bed. "Thank you."

"No problem," Wren replied, laying an old sweater over Seven. "Good job on the bed by the way, Josie. It looks good."

Josie beamed. "Thanks! It was a pretty quick job, but I used the knife to make it level!"

Wren stared at her disapprovingly at the mention of the knife, but chose to accept it. Nothing bad seemed to have happened. "I think that's all for tonight. You two have a good rest, and I'll see you in the morning to prepare for school." She turned to leave, turning the light out and closing the door behind her.

Seven waited several minutes, before tossing the sweater to the side and flying over to Josie.

"Wha-"

Seven quickly put her hand over Josie's mouth, before making her eyes form words. Quiet, we don't want to be heard.

Josie looked at Seven, confused.

Seven, meanwhile, looked at Josie with a big smile. Want to visit Pronio? I prepared something for us.

Josie suddenly smiled and nodded, excited.

Get dressed.

Getting out of bed, Josie pointed at the clothes Wren had just prepared. After receiving a nod from Seven, she quickly changed into them.

Seven then flew over to the window, being as quiet as she could while opening it. Then, she looked back at Josie. I hope you're not scared of heights.

Josie stared at Seven, worried. She wasn't scared of heights at all, but the idea of actually falling wasn't something she enjoyed.

I moved the trampoline. You shouldn't get hurt... I think.

That calmed the fennec down a lot. She gave a thumbs-up, before climbing through the window. Before Seven could react, she'd already jumped out, landing safely on the trampoline below. It wasn't silent, but it wasn't too loud either. There was no sign of anyone inside the house having taken notice.

Seven grabbed the backpack from under the bed, before following Seven out of the window, and closing it behind her. "Okay, I think we can talk now... but still, be quiet. I don't know if we're in the clear yet..."

"How long were you planning this?" Josie asked.

"I started preparing while you were at school," Seven answered. "I packed everything I think you'd need, except food. Azaleah packed some, though. You can thank Imogen for the whole idea, she's convinced I need to meet the other prototype Nasrics, and I think she's right."

"Okay." Josie then pointed at her bare feet. "What about shoes?"

Seven opened the backpack, handing Josie the ankle boots she'd picked out. "I prepared for that, too."

"Nice!" Josie quickly pulled them on, before finally getting off the trampoline. "We're heading towards the transport thing, right?"

"Yeah," Seven replied. "I'm not completely sure where the inter-city transport stop is, but I would imagine the roads they use are much smoother. They'd have to be, right?"

"They are," Josie said, running in the direction of the nearest stop for Skycross' glass ball transport system. "Mom took us on a holiday to Lila when I was five. I think I know where to go."

"Great! We just need to get there before Azaleah does, and then..."

Josie was on the same wavelength. "Hide until the transport arrives, and get in at the last moment!"

"Exactly. Addie will probably head back home and alert your mom, but by then we'll be well on our way north."

"This is... about you meeting the prototypes, right? Is there anything else to it?"

Seven slowly nodded. "Yeah... Imogen convinced me that I needed to meet them, and I feel like you'd also enjoy the adventure."

"Wow... Well, you're right. I know I'm not supposed to be doing this, but sometimes breaking rules can be fun!" Josie quickened her pace. "How did you do that thing with your eyes? Addie's never done that before."

Seven looked at Josie, making more text. You mean this?

"Yeah, that."

"I noticed that our eyes are like screens, and they follow our emotions and where we're looking," Seven replied, letting her eyes go back to normal. "I figured out how to take full control of them. Maybe Addie's just never had a reason to do it... I didn't want to alert the others."

"That's awesome! I'll definitely ask Addie about it on the way there!"

Seven noticed that a nearby road looked a lot more well-kept than the one that they were on. "Is that the kind of road we're looking for?"

"Yeah! But the place we need to be is still a while away. Come on, our shortcut is over here!" Josie brought Seven over to a nearby structure. It had three poles... Seven didn't have time to take it all in before Josie pressed the button.