Chapter 36

Stardust pulled Bel through several streets, trying to get far enough away that Amelix wouldn't be able to easily follow them, but not so far as to end up getting hopelessly lost. Eventually, she ducked into a narrow side street, and landed.

Bel, despite being grateful for the save, wasn't too pleased. "You didn't tell me there was some kind of killer machine robot up there!"

"I didn't know," Stardust grumbled, while trying to figure out the best way to reunite with Alice and Cybal.

"So you sent me up into the unknown looking for a Trialian who probably isn't even there? You know how much this city doesn't like their type!"

"We've literally seen her there."

"Okay then, why not go yourself?"

Sighing, the prototype turned to face Bel. "You've seen it for yourself. There are people here who want me for some reason and I don't know why. I asked you to do it because I didn't want to risk being seen.

"Fat lot of good that did for both of us," Bel said. "And I doubt it's going well for your friends either. Or..."

"It's me they want," Stardust interrupted. "The rest of them should be fine."

Bel ignored her, as she started to panic. "We left Beyu there! We need to go back and save him! I hope he's not hurt!"

"Are you even listening to me?"

Bel started hovering, ready to rush back. "Beyu needs my help!"

Stardust crossed her arms, frowning. "You really want to go up against them again? Besides, from what he's said, he probably doesn't want your help."

"But we're friends. Friends help each other."

"He asked us to protect him from you! He trusted literal strangers over you!"

"That's not what's happening," Bel said slowly, landing back on the ground. "I've been nice to him, he should trust me."

Stardust simply shrugged. "Sounds to me like you don't have the same idea of what being nice is. And it sounds to me like you value your own thoughts above those of others."

"I think my thoughts make sense though... if you help someone, they should like you!"

"Not always how it works. Now, you're free to go back yourself if you want, but I'm laying low for a bit. If you want to stick around, you should probably stop acting like you're the main character." Stardust sat down on the ground.

Bel stopped to think. "Everyone has a story. You're the main character in your life, I'm the main character in my life, Beyu is the main character in his life."

"You're acting like you're the main character in his life," Stardust pointed out. "By your own logic, he should be able to make his own decisions. So why are you so intent on being part of his life when he shows signs of not wanting you around?"

"It's..." Bel sighed. "He's a Neron. His species is really rare."

"I hear that only a hundred were made."

"Yeah. Being friends with someone that rare would be awesome."

Stardust motioned for Bel to sit next to her. "So you just convinced yourself that you were friends, and didn't think about his own opinions?"

"I... I guess?"

Stardust chuckled. "I get it now. But hey, you're talking to someone who's technically even rarer."

Bel examined Stardust. "You look like a knock-off Nasric."

"Knock-off?!"

"I mean, look at how big you are. And your colour scheme... and don't even get me started on that flame!"