Chapter 38

"Nice to meet you, I guess?" Stardust wasn't sure what to make of the situation. Bel was arguing with Chelsey, who looked to be completely done with the blue Nasric already.

"Normally we don't get new community members nearly as often as we've been these past few days. And it's rare to see people turn up in the middle of the day..."

"Wait. Community? Do we get a choice?"

Melissa shook her head. "As you can probably see, this is where Trialians live in Pronio. And we... can't really let the secret get out. You probably have some idea of how the city is like."

"Yeah... Bel and I have already had a run in with Amelix. And I've dealt with the Ember Witch too."

"Amelix...?"

"You didn't know the leader's name?"

"Nobody does!"

Stardust shrugged. "Cybal did... Ugh. I need to find her again."

"Well you have to earn our trust to be able to leave. We get... pretty paranoid over the secret getting out."

"Yeah, I understand..."

Bel flew over to Stardust. "We need to get out of here."

"I keep telling you that's not going to happen!" Chelsey snapped.

"Just go along with it." Stardust sighed. "I actually feel safer down here."

"They're trying to hold us prisoner!"

"I'd rather be held prisoner for safety reasons than be held prisoner because someone wants to get their hands on me for some unknown purpose!"

"Well maybe that's because you're a prototype!" Bel shouted. "I'm not, so that's not my problem. I don't have to worry about that! Why should I be held here?"

Melissa glared at Bel. "Because if we let anyone out that we don't trust, we risk the collapse of the entire network. Now be quiet, we aren't sure how soundproof these tunnels are."

"You'll have to excuse her," Stardust mumbled. "I don't think she's caught on to the fact that other people have their own minds."

"Evidently."

Chelsey looked at the fire on Stardust's head. "Is it possible to put that out? Could be a hazard..."

"I'd be more than happy to, but it's keeping me alive," Stardust explained. She put her own hand directly into the fire. "And as you can see, it's not a normal fire. Here, feel my hand."

Chelsey did so, and was surprised by the fact that Stardust's hand wasn't even warm. "Fair enough, I guess... How is it keeping you alive?"

"Excess energy usage that I can't control. Helps to stop it building up and making me explode."

"You said something about being a prototype," Melissa said. "And you do look the part. Is that true?"

"Yeah. I've explained this a lot already."

"Don't worry, we believe you. Mostly because you're not the only prototype down here."

"More prototypes are here?" Bel got excited. "Cool! I've been told there's only five!"

Chelsey noticed Stardust was falling behind, due to her choosing not to fly. "Stuck to the ground?"

"No, just conserving energy..."

"How low are you?"

"Need a crystal within the next hour, I think."

Chelsey nodded at Melissa, who flew off at top speed. "If you want, I can carry you."