Chapter 31

"So... now what?"

Alice, Cybal and Stardust were now in an open area nearby the building they'd seen Layla in. With no way in for Alice and Cybal, and with 2-14 missing, Cybal and Stardust were bored. Alice, however, was happily watching the robot population of Pronio going about their day.

"We could..." Cybal sighed. "I don't know, Star. Maybe you can find a way in higher up."

"And risk encountering the Ember Witch again? I'd rather not," Stardust replied. "I still don't know what she had planned."

Just then, Alice felt something brushing against her foot. Looking down, she noticed that a small teal robot was hiding behind her leg. The robot quickly moved to under her other leg, but then Alice picked them up. "Hey, look at this! This one looks like Niko!"

Cybal stared at the robot Alice was holding, as they tried to break free of her surprisingly strong grasp. "Alice, let them go. They clearly want to be released."

"Oh, okay. Sorry about that." Alice then dropped the robot, who then fell about half a metre to the floor. They then rushed to hide behind Cybal instead.

"Anyway, you're right," Cybal continued, examining the robot. "Looks like a Neron."

"Is that what Niko is?" Stardust asked. "I've never seen any others."

"Neither have we. Izzy only made a hundred, so seeing a Neron is pretty rare."

The robot, upon hearing their own species name, looked up at the trio with a confused expression. Positioning the screen on their lower half to point at the trio, they displayed some words. You know what I am?

"Of course we do," Cybal said. "We were also created directly by Izzy."

Then what are you? You look like Nasrics, but larger.

"We're prototype Nasrics," Stardust explained. "There's four of us in the city, but 2-14's gone missing."

I can maybe help you find her, but not for free.

Cybal and Stardust looked at each other. Cybal looked back at the Neron. "What would we be giving you in return?"

Protect me from this crazy Nasric who keeps following me.

"Easy. Who is that Nasric?" Stardust asked.

FKH-4558. Blue in colour. I don't know what she wants.

"Noted..." Cybal made a mental note. "What if we run into her?"

I don't care what you do with her, even bring her along if you want. Just don't let her get too close to me.

Stardust nodded. "I'm sure Alice can probably distract her."

Alice heard her own name, and joined the conversation. "I can distract anyone!"

"You got a name, or any kind of identity?" Cybal asked the robot.

Beyu. And I identify as male.

"Nice to meet you," Stardust said. "Another pair of eyes can't hurt."

"There you are, Beyu! Why did you run off again?"

Stardust looked at where the voice came from, and saw the exact Nasric Beyu had described. Acting quickly, she got in her way. "Easy there. What interest do you have in him?"

"We're best friends!"

Cybal looked at Beyu, who rolled his eyes. We are not.

"Alright... what makes you think you're best friends?"