Chapter 26

As Josie and Seven neared the house, Seven caught sight of Imogen waving behind a corner. She made a mediocre excuse that Josie believed, and quickly flew away, towards where Imogen was waiting.

"The plan is still on?" Imogen asked.

"Yeah. How did you get here?"

"I told Eden that I had to tell you something. She bought it."

"Fair enough." Seven brought Imogen to the back of the house, and pointed at the trampoline. "I think this is the key to sneaking out."

"And where are we moving it?"

"Under that window." Seven pointed at the window to Josie's room. "Do you think we can get it there?"

Imogen scanned the trampoline. "Easily. Grab one of the legs."

Seven grabbed the leg nearest to her, while Imogen grabbed the one next to it. Together, they successfully got the trampoline over to below Josie's window in just under a minute. Imogen had to repeatedly pause to let Seven catch up, but they were successful regardless.

"Job done. You looked like you were struggling," Imogen commented.

"Yeah... I was. I guess I'm not as strong as I could be, especially with this arm..."

"How long were you in the scrapyard for?"

"I really don't know. It felt like it wasn't that long, but Izzy managed to make fourteen more prototypes... even though most didn't make it."

"More reason to meet the other living prototypes. I'm glad you committed to this."

Seven nodded. "I think I am too... but I should get inside now, Josie could start looking for me soon."

"Yeah, you're right. I'll get back to Eden, should I tell her that we won't be expecting Josie at school tomorrow?"

"Perhaps," Seven replied. "You don't think she'd tell her mom?"

"Not a chance. The two barely talk... I'd be surprised if she even remembered what Eden's birthday is!"

"Okay... in that case, go ahead. I'll let you know how the trip goes."

"Please do. See you whenever you get back!" Imogen flew away.

After waving, Seven flew back to the front of the house and in through the still-open door.

"There you are!" Josie exclaimed. "Are you okay? What happened?"

"Got distracted," Seven replied. "I'm fine, don't worry."

"Alright. Let's go to my workshop, I want to try and make something!"

"Sure." Seven followed Josie to her workshop, where Josie proceeded to change into a simple shirt. It looked old.

"Last year, I accidentally burned my clothes to ashes when I was playing here," Josie explained, noticing Seven's confused expression. "So now I have to wear this. It can be easily replaced!"

Seven understood. "What will we do here?"

Josie ran over to one of the piles of metal. "We'll make... something! I don't know what, though..."

Seven examined the pile Josie was going through. "Some of this seems sharp. You sure this is safe?"

"You have no idea how many times I've cut myself on metal." Josie laughed. "I barely feel anything now, I don't even think I've done that in a while. Maybe I've just gotten tougher!"

"Huh... well, if your mom is okay with it... do you have any ideas on what to make?"

Josie held up a particularly large sheet. "Maybe something for you to sleep in?"

"Like... a bed?"

"Something like that."

"I mean... sure? I'm fine just sleeping on the shelf like I did last night, but if you're willing to do that..."

"Of course! I've never made a bed before, so this will be a challenge!" Josie quickly used her abilities to heat up the metal, easily folding it in half.

Seven watched in awe as Josie manipulated the red-hot metal with her bare hands, without even flinching. "The fact that you're immune to such high temperatures... it's impressive."

Josie smiled. "I know, right? I like the heat, even in food. Mom never makes it hot enough."

"I can't imagine it's comfortable for others."

"It isn't, but I give the extra heat to my own food. They can have their cold meals."

Seven watched as Josie kept folding the metal, having to make it hotter and hotter as it got smaller but thicker. Eventually, it was sat a size where it was slightly longer than Seven's height, and about twice as wide. "Do you think this is a good size?"

Seven examined the sheet of metal, being sure to not touch it as it was still faintly glowing. "It looks... good."

"Great!" Josie spent another several minutes folding up another sheet, before heating one end of the first sheet and attaching it to the other. Then after another while, another smaller sheet was attached at the other end.

"Well..." Josie commented. "That's the base structure, I think."

"Does it sit flat on a surface?"

Josie placed the bed on the floor, where it wobbled a bit. "Good spot, I can easily sort this." She ran over to a set of tools on a table in the corner of the room, grabbing a knife.

Seven was startled by the size of the blade Josie had grabbed. "Surely that's not safe!"

"Mom hates it when I use these, but she gives in and lets me use them when they're actually needed. She'll understand." Josie knelt down next to the bed, and started heating up the uneven parts that made up the bottom. "Seven, you might want to stand back. Metal could go flying."

"What?!" Seven flew up as high as she could go, watching what Josie did. Once the bottom of the bed was glowing a bright orange, Josie picked up the knife. In one quick swipe, the bed's height had been reduced by about a centimetre.

"And that's that!"

Seven flew back down, watching Josie place the bed back on the floor. This time, it didn't wobble at all. "I'm... not sure how surprised I should be that this worked."

"I'm surprised myself," Josie said, laughing. "I had no idea if it would work! But it's something I can keep in mind for when I make more things!"

Just then, Wren came in to the workshop. "Josie, it's almost time for food. Finish up what you're doing."

"Okay!" Josie picked up the bed and quickly ran up to her room, placing it on the shelf where Seven had slept the night before. Then she rushed back downstairs, ready to eat.