What?

"You don't seem to be in a good mood today, Kim."

Wonwoo mutters tightly from his seat next to Mingyu's, again. The taller boy nearly topples off his chair, wondering to himself whether or not regressing in the morning had actually left an effect on his brain that lasted until now. Was Jeon Wonwoo talking to him like a normal fucking human, without any venom in his voice?

Speechless, and clueless as to how he's supposed to react, Mingyu clears his throat, mumbling a quiet 'No', taking care he doesn't get too loud. Wonwoo doesn't speak for quite a while after that.

"Me too." Comes his reply nearly twenty minutes later. "What's with the sudden curiosity?" Mingyu whispers.

"Just felt like it. Don't think of it much, It'd save you a lot of brainpower, Kim."

There's an evil smirk on Wonwoo's face, but when Mingyu turns to check whether it's really Jeon Wonwoo or not, he observes there's a mirthful look to his eyes. "The fuck just happened?" Mingyu wonders, and Wonwoo goes silent once more.

That had been Mingyu's last class with Wonwoo for the day -- something he's quite grateful for, especially today. He needs some time away to clear his brain from the normal conversation he had with Wonwoo. He needs to go and tell Chaeyeon. Sending in a quick, definitely hyperactive, text, he asks her to go to the cafeteria right after class.

"I don't believe you." Is the first thing Chaeyeon says when, while Mingyu was busy waiting for her at a table, dumping her bag on an empty chair next to his.

"I didn't either. But the fucker looked fucking normal, you know, without those glowering eyes staring at me all the fucking time."

Chaeyeon looks exasperated and disbelieved at the same time. Mingyu understands the reaction well enough. "Well, at least there's slight chance of you being able to talk it out with him." She says.

Mingyu stills. "Chaeyeon, no. Please, I've had enough." He couldn't see his face, but the way Chaeyeon immediately looks concerned tells him she knows he's troubled.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Okay," Chaeyeon looks unconvinced.

"You know what, fuck it. Mother brought it up last evening, again, and I said no. Next thing I knew, she's hanging that fucking photograph in the living room, so whenever I pass by, I happen to look at it and you know..."

Chaeyeon's eyes are wide, and she looks like she's about to throw a thousand curses at Minkyoung. Instead, she settles with belittling her in the mildest way possible. Mingyu wishes she could've spoken his mind out.

"No she didn't."

"She did."

"Is she a bit... Off? I mean that in the most genuine way possible, she's your mother, for heaven's sake!"

"Please remind me again." Mingyu rolls his eyes. Hell, Chaeyeon doesn't even know what photograph he talked about, she's just aware of the fact of its existence, and that it's a major trigger for Mingyu. 

"I'm so sorry Mingyu..."

Mingyu remains silent, realising it's time for both of them to part ways once again, for Chaeyeon has a class starting in a few minutes. "You'll get late, go ahead." Mingyu nudges her side. "Bye." She mumbles, and leaves. There's pity swimming in her eyes, but it disappears just as fast as Mingyu notices.

"No fucking way."

"No fucking way."

Mingyu and Wonwoo speak at the same time, mouths wide open, and unable to digest the situation. Remember the rough draft Mingyu and a few students sent in? Well, Professor Lee seems a bit too jubilant about the 'Absolute masterpiece of a script', as those were his exact words he'd said just about thirty minutes ago.

Not that Mingyu was begrudged about the fact, he in fact liked it that Professor accepted the bits and pieces he'd handed in. But the problem arose when the cast had been declared, with him and Wonwoo, to his absolute misfortune, set to play the protagonists. Wasn't there an audition to be held to properly choose the right people for the roles?

Wonwoo had voiced that question out a few minutes ago, saving Mingyu a potential situation to feel dumb about. Professor Lee, with a grin matching the Cheshire cat's, had happily denied, saying he'd observed his students enough throughout the months they'd worked with him. "You, Mr. Kim and Mr. Jeon, have potential. Chemistry, which you're clearly unaware of, but I'll have you know it's definitely there."

Mingyu felt like digging a hole in the auditorium floor and burying himself inside, and never come out, after listening to the not-so-subtle snickers coming from others present with him. Wonwoo hasn't moved from next to him, he's still his partner for Theatre. He hasn't looked up either. Maybe he's too ashamed? Truth be told, Mingyu is too, but he tries not to show it, deciding to keep this professional just to the club, and nowhere outside. He'd do his job, and get over with it.

Wonwoo, on the other hand, disagrees a while later, in a manner Mingyu never knew he could -- silently, and politely. "I can't do this, Professor." He says.

"Why not, Wonwoo?" Professor asks.

Wonwoo doesn't have anything to say, Mingyu observes. He sighs deeply, returning to staring at his shoes once again, as Professor claps his hands twice, diverting everyone else's attention back to him. His next few words drown away, as Mingyu whispers a question to a still Wonwoo. "You should have said something, why are you doing this?"

"Well, you could have too. Why are you doing this?" Wonwoo snaps.

"I- I don't think we have much choice..?"

"Exactly what I realised, asshole."

"Calm down, no one wants to deal with your mood swings once again."

"Then shut the fuck up and mind your own business." There's a slight bite to Wonwoo's voice.

"I am, Wonwoo, did you forget we're supposed to be the apparent protagonists here?"

Wonwoo stutters briefly. Mingyu doesn't catch what he spoke, ignoring it and turning his attention towards Professor again. He doesn't catch the alien look Wonwoo sends his way, either.

---

Any specific (no smut, pls) tropes you'd like to see Meanie in? I'm out of ideas-