Talk

On his clandestine trip to Seoul National via a bus, Mingy can't help but think strangely of the way Chaeyeon had seemed when he'd talked to her earlier. He can't really pinpoint it properly, but it definitely sounded a lot unlike Chaeyeon. She would have pried for Mingyu to tell her why he suddenly 'didn't feel like it', but she didn't. Almost as if she'd been expecting Mingyu to turn away and leave.

Or maybe Mingyu's just overthinking; probably result of the baffling news he got to know. He felt the need to go see Wonwoo -- conscious or not -- earlier.

Mingyu realises he likes travelling on his own, without his incompetent chauffeur who could die of old age before he dropped Mingyu at Pledis. Of course, Mingyu has to cover most of his face up, because he doesn't want people pouncing on him just for being Kim Minkyoung's son. He likes the peace, and the feeling of being ordinary.

He arrives at the stop he's been awaiting soon after, and he anticipatedly gets off the bus, which has stopped right across the massive hospital. Without thinking further, Mingyu calmly crosses the road, and is inside the hospital in a few minutes.

He's never been inside a hospital before, and the structure is quite unlike what Mingyu expected it to be. It's dead silent, with footsteps being the only source of any small noise. Everyone minds their own business, as Mingyu thinks he should to. He approaches the receptionist for the ward details, vaguely answering the few questions the man behind the desk throws his way. He seems annoyed, Mingyu observes, but he doesn't understand why. There's not much people he sees around that would talk to a receptionist.

"May I know your name, sir?" The man asks.

"Kim Mingyu."

The receptionist raises a brow, but shoos off any growing suspicion. Anyone could be called 'Kim Mingyu'.

"Your reason to visit?"

"Wanted to see a... Friend..." That felt strange to say.

"Name of patient?"

"Jeon Wonwoo."

Yeah, basically Mingyu did not enjoy the sharp conversation he had with the man. Thanking him with a bow, Mingyu makes is way to the elevator and presses the button of the floor number he'd been told.

When he arrives at the ward, Mingyu hesitates for a minute. He's still unsure of whether or not he should enter. Wonwoo might not want to see him; that's a huge possibility. Nonetheless, Mingyu steps inside, convincing himself by a quiet "He may not even be awake, Mingyu.".

Unlike what he'd told himself, Wonwoo's very awake as Mingyu enters. Wonwoo looked like he was about to turn to the bedside table for a drink of water, but the moment his eyes land on Mingyu, he freezes. And so does Mingyu.

"...Do you need me to call a nurse or someone?" Mingyu finally manages to mumble, after a few awkward minutes.

"No, I'm fine."

"Are you alright?"

"What do you think?"

"No?"

A soft scoff escapes Wonwoo's mouth. He doesn't reply, since the silence spoke enough. "There's no one else to see you?"

Mingyu regrets ever asking that. Wonwoo's face turns sour, and immediately shifts to a furious expression. "Never mind." Mingyu says quietly.

"Are they gonna send you to... you know..?"

"No. I'd slice their throats if they even asked."

"They should definitely send you." Mingyu points out with a light chuckle, hoping Wonwoo doesn't take it in a wrong way.

"Even if they did, I'd run away."

"That makes it sound like the worst place in the world."

"It is."

Wait a minute. "You've..."

Wonwoo nods, head turned to his lap.

"Why do you do this, Wonwoo?" Mingyu can't help but ask.

"It's hard to explain it to someone like you."

"What do you mean someone like me?"

"You seem like the person who wouldn't understand, no matter how hard they tried."

"Okay. But I'm ready to listen."

Mingyu expects Wonwoo to remain silent, or probably pass a snarky comment and then remain silent. What he hadn't seen coming, is Wonwoo giving in with a sigh and actually telling Mingyu a few things. "I don't think I even need to tell you anything much," Wonwoo begins, "since you've probably seen most of it in my diary."

"I never even looked at it. Just a few sentences here and there, because it was open when I picked it up, mind you," Mingyu raises both his arms in defence, "but I would never read through someone's personal stuff."

"I don't believe you."

"That's okay."

"You're being weirdly considerate, although I openly show how much I ha..." Wonwoo hesitates for a split second. "How much I dislike you."

Mingyu laughs, his voice resonating in the silent, white room.

"Don't laugh."

"Okay." But Mingyu doesn't stop laughing anyway.

"Kim, I will slap you with my slipper on your thick head, shut the fuck up!"

Mingyu's yet again surprised to see a tiny smile, just like the one he'd seen a few days ago, gracing Wonwoo's lips. He can't help but think it looks good on Wonwoo.

"You should smile more often." He blurts absentmindedly.

Wonwoo's smile drops immediately. "No."

Mingyu notices his ears going red. Wonwoo's probably embarrassed.

"Why?" Mingyu's genuinely confused.

"I... I don't know how to smile."

Mingyu feels his heart tremble a bit at his words. "Doesn't look like it, honestly."

"That's the nicest thing I've ever heard in a while." Wonwoo says sadly, giving Mingyu the idea that he means a lot more than what he said.

"I used to have a sister," Wonwoo says suddenly, "She was a literal angel, possibly accidentally sent to earth."

"Used to..?"

"She's dead."

Mingyu gasps, and then covers his mouth. "How..?"

"Same thing." Wonwoo gestures to himself.

"Oh my gods, I'm so sorry..."

"I miss her."

"Of course you do."

"Yeah, she was the nicest person I'd ever met."

Wonwoo goes silent for a while after that. Mingyu understands; he might need the time to compose himself again. "What about you?" Wonwoo asks.

"Me?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, my life's nearly public. I don't like it. My mother's a psychopath."

"All rich people are."

"Hey! Am I a psychopath?"

"I wasn't talking about you."

"I'm so glad." Mingyu drawls, rolling his eyes.

"That's it? That's all your life is about?"

"Yeah, I don't go outside my house except for Pledis, so I don't know much."

"Really? Why?"

"I'm not allowed. Safety measures and stupid shit like that."

"That sucks."

"It does."

And that's when Mingyu realises, and he gets the feeling that Wonwoo possibly does too, that there's actually nothing to their lives. They just exist, without a single thought.