Congee

Wonwoo

Wonwoo refuses to believe that this day had been one of the most memorable ones, the good ones, he's experienced. That's saying it was absolutely enjoyable, considering Wonwoo doesn't recall many 'memorable days' in his life.

Wonwoo notices he's significantly brighter by late noon, when it's almost time for lunch. Soon enough, a nurse enters the ward with the disgusting hospital food set prettily on a tray, as if it tasted any better that way. The nurse's quite surprised by the unexpected presence in the ward, but doesn't question it. He places the tray on Wonwoo's bedside table, refills his jug of water, and leaves within a few minutes.

Wonwoo gingerly looks to his side, trying not to gag at the shrimp congee, again. Mingyu's been observing him ever since they both had dissolved into silence. "I hate congee." He says, out of the blue.

"I know right."

"But you have to eat."

"No."

"Gods, please eat."

"Make me."

Wonwoo expected Mingyu to give up, and probably roll his eyes at him being so difficult. Instead, Mingyu drags his chair to Wonwoo's side, and picks up the steaming bowl so easily, as if it's not burning hot, and holds a spoonful of the congee to Wonwoo's mouth. "Here. You said it."

Wonwoo's eyes widen, his mouth hangs open, and he feels his ears burn. He doesn't know what to say, neither does he know what to do. Mingyu, without warning, shoves the spoon in his mouth, making Wonwoo choke. He slaps the back of Mingyu's head for real this time, and grabs the spoon from him. The evil grin on the taller boy's face tells Wonwoo his plan had gone well. "Jeez, Kim, you didn't have burn the insides of my mouth. This shit's boiling."

"There's a reason why it's boiling."

"I know."

"Of course you do, Mr. Know It All."

So Wonwoo spends the next fifteen minutes trying to stomach the food, with Mingyu watching each of his actions. "Stop staring, Kim."

"Was I staring?"

"Very much."

Mingyu continues to stare at him anyway, but Wonwoo knows he does it purposely, just to annoy him, this time.

Mingyu looks down at his watch, and that's when Wonwoo notices his shoulders drop. "What's wrong?" This suddenly doesn't seem weird to say to Kim Mingyu.

"I have to go."

"Shouldn't you be happy then?"

"I wouldn't admit it openly, but you're actually not that bad, Jeon." Mingyu smiles smugly.

"We'll see if you say that once I get back."

"I'm waiting~"

Wonwoo laughs, loud and clear, so much so that he literally begins shaking. He immediately stops, though, when his bandaged head starts throbbing due to the sudden movement. Mingyu was just about to leave, but he runs to Wonwoo in an instant, holding the back of his head that Wonwoo clutches. "Careful Jeon, every time I decide to leave you alone, you end up hurting yourself.

"Shut up, weren't you going?"

"I am. Goodbye, but I need my Calculus partner back soon."

"We'll see about that."

"Somi?"

Wonwoo mumbles in the silent darkness of his ward. He swears he just saw her. "Somi?" He calls out again, as someone that looks like Somi materialises near him. When they speak, Wonwoo's sure it's Somi.

"Hey Sunshine!" Somi chirps, her voice warm as ever.

"I'm no Sunshine, you know it."

"You are, and I said it because I know it."

Wonwoo rolls his eyes, as Somi chuckles, holding a hand over her mouth in usual 'Somi' manner.

"I heard you had a visitor today." She says.

"I did."

"Isn't that Kim Mingyu? The one from Pledis?"

"Yeah it was him."

"You had fun talking to him?"

"I did. He's nice, he cares. Or at least, he's good at pretending."

"Why do you say that?"

Wonwoo inhales deeply. He doesn't want to tell any of it to Somi, but he ends up doing so anyway. "I've done so much shit to him, just out of frustration. Heck, I don't give a fuck about what Mum and Dad think of my academic record, but I have to go through hell for being second. And it's always him who's first. Mum and Dad have so much control over me, it scares me." Wonwoo admits, his voice barely a whisper.

"Aww Sunshine, don't say that. If they actually had so much control over you, you wouldn't bear to even talk to him like you did today."

"You think so?"

"I know so."

"I miss you." Wonwoo suddenly says.

"I do too, Sunshine. But at least we're talking, aren't we?"

"But you'll go away."

"And I will always come back. You may not have seen me, and you may not, but I've always been there, and I will always be with you."

"Promise?" Wonwoo sticks his pinky out.

Somi interlocks it with her own. "Promise."

"But I still want to see you..."

"You can't get everything you want, now can you?"

"When have I ever gotten something I need, let alone want?"

"Didn't he visit you today?"

"He isn..."

There's a knowing smile on Somi's face, as she fondly stares at Wonwoo in his little moment of realisation. "See? You might not realise it, but so much has happened that you won't understand right now, but it will make complete sense later on. Trust me." She rubs a warm palm on his head, careful not to touch the bandaged area.

"Stay safe Sunshine, and just because I'm not there, don't go around doing stuff like," Somi points at his head, "that. It hurts me more than it hurts you."

"You're the reason." Wonwoo fakes a pout, crossing his arms. That makes Somi laugh, as she pats his head once again.

"Go ahead and sleep now, Sunshine, you need to get better as soon as possible."

"Please don't go..."

"I have to, Wonwoo. I'll be back, trust me."

"Okay."

Wonwoo leans in for a hug, but Somi dissolves right away, and so do his surroundings. Moments later, Wonwoo's in the dark ward again, but he's alone this time. There's no Somi, and he isn't smiling anymore. It's just him, left to think about what, whom he thought was Somi, had said.

---

If anybody isn't clear with any part of the book, feel free to ask me !! I would love to explain stuff if you'd like !!