t h r e e: New School, More Problems

Living in a small town in Maryland, I already knew everyone in my town, especially in my little highschool. It could be considered both a good thing and a bad thing. Good thing is that you already had friends, so you didn't have to worry about making new ones. Bad thing is that a rumor spreads quickly, so if you get caught in one, your social life could say goodbye until you hit college.

It was a new school year and I had a chance to reinvent myself. Not that I was focused on that anyway. Over the weekend, I had the chance to decorate my old room. I took down my old band posters and instead up various photos of me and my mother. The old Zoe was gone, and this one clearly had different views on life.

I grabbed my uniform from my closet and started to put it on. My blue blazer fit snugly on my chest and I finished it all off with a sickly colored yellow tie. Strange color combination in my opinion, but I couldn't change it.

Going downstairs, I saw my father and the rest of his family eating breakfast. Usually I would oversleep and not have time to eat breakfast with my mom but things were different now.

I had to at least try to get along with him.

So slowly, I sat down on one of the empty chairs much to the chagrin of everyone else but my father. He got up from the table and made me cereal. Everyone was eating silently until he spoke up.

"Is everyone excited for school today?"

Stephanie and Giselle muttered a no while I quietly crunched on my breakfast. My father was expectantly waiting for an answer so I begrudgingly responded, "Yeah, I'm so excited to meet people and destroy my reputation again."

"Great!" He cheerfully responded, not sensing the sarcasm in my voice, or maybe he chose to ignore it. Eventually when I was done, I grabbed my bag and was about to head outside when someone stopped me.

"Don't you want to ride in the car with us?" Stephanie said with hesitation, like she was deciding whether or not to ask.

"No, I don't want to hear your petty one-sided arguments today." I said before closing the door.

So much for trying to get along with them.

I waited at the bus stop, involuntarily tapping by foot against the ground. I was faintly familiar with where my new school was, especially since my best friend obsessed about it so many years ago when she was picking a high school to go to.

Well ex-bestfriend anyway. Not speaking for two years really has a tendency to ruin relationships.

It was a relatively short trip, and a mere ten minutes later I was standing in front of Madison High School. I was considering going to this school when I was a freshman but my mom didn't want me to be away from her for so long. I was glad it ended that way too. One year with that family would kill me.

Entering the building, I located the main office and entered inside. It was full since many new students were in a frenzy to get their schedules. I stood in the corner until almost everyone left and then I approached the receptionist.

"Hi. My name's Zoey Newman and I'm a new student here."

She typed my name into a computer and nodded at the result.

"Ah yes. One of the few incoming seniors. We don't get too many of those around here. Your tour guide will be here shortly to show you around the school."

"A tour guide?" I responded in confusion. "I don't need one. I can find my way around."

"I'm sorry, but it's school policy that every new student gets a tour guide to show them around. You'll like yours. She's very dedicated and friendly. I'm sure she won't bite." She paused when she saw someone behind me. "There she is now."

"Hey Zoe." An all too recognizable voice sounded behind me and I turned around expectantly. My gaze instantly hardened, in contrast to her smile. It wavered slightly when I didn't smile back but it held nonetheless.

It was Lucy. One of the Big Three. Except that I wasn't part of it anymore so there were only two.

The receptionist didn't notice any tension and instead, she said, "Here is your schedule and Ms. Montgomery will show you to your classrooms. She will be with you for the rest of the week."

Just what I needed now.

I took the papers from her and excited the main office without uttering another word.

"It's been a long time." Lucy said while I tried to locate my first classroom. When I didn't answer, she tried again.

"I missed you."

"Where is 302B?" I answered instead.

She faltered but pointed towards the opposite direction where I was going.

"I didn't know if we would see you again. We thought you didn't want to talk to us."

Annoyed by the conversation, I put an end to it. "I don't. You could leave if you want too. The teachers won't know if you leave now."

"I'm not going to do that Zoe. I never had the chance to apologize."

I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to her. Now she was just uttering crap. "Yes you did. Two years ago when it happened. You didn't even have to apologize. Just be there for me. But you and Bryson left me behind. So that's why I'm angry."

I looked at the clock and sighed, "First period passed twenty minutes ago, I might as well skip it. I'll blame it on getting lost. Please don't follow me." I left and she stood there standing still.

Even though both of them hurt me, I would never want to inflict pain onto any of them. I just need time to process the whirlwind of emotions right now. I went to the next hallway and sat down. I buried my head in my hands and stayed there for a few moments.

Eventually, I heard a noise and looked up. Some people were just starting to come in, since they had first period free. A guy who was vaguely familiar was shaking his beat to the music in his headphones until he approached a locker. I stared at him in wonder, trying to figure out where to connect his face. When he was putting his books in his locker, I finally figured out where I knew him from.

He was towel boy.

Noticing that someone was staring at him, he turned his head in my direction and looked at me. He looked confused for a second before recognition appeared on his face and he approached me.

"You're that girl who got drenched in water balloons right?"

I stood up and nodded my head. 'Yeah."

"You're new aren't you? I haven't seen you around before."

"I think we established this a few days ago but yes, I'm still new."

"Where is your tour guide? Did they forget to give you one?"

"She's absent." I lied through my teeth.

"Oh well, then I can take you to your class. Where's your second period?"

I showed him my schedule and he studied it. "We share two classes together. That's interesting. Your physics class is right around the corner."

He took me around the corner to where my new classroom was. It was a short walk but I was instantly more relaxed. It sad how I would rather be with a stranger than with my old friend but with time, feelings change.

"Thanks."

"No problem. If you need my help again, just find me. I can be quite the tour guide."

I chuckled at that and let him go to his next class. I stayed by the door and waited for first period to end. It was only the beginning of the day but I probably already managed to piss off two people. Way to go Zoe. Just a sure fire way to fit in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N- Okay so today I have one question for you: What did you think of Lucy?  She will be a semi-important character so I want to know your reactions to her. Anyway thanks for reading this update and I hope you enjoyed the chapter. If you liked it, please comment and vote. The beautiful cover on top was made my fartette. This chapter is dedicated to her.