t h i r t y - o n e: On the Brink of Death

"Why did you ditch us yesterday?" Stephanie said while I was brushing my hair.

"I didn't ditch you guys," I responded simply. "I just left for unknown reasons to you. Did you guys do anything to my room while I was gone?"

Steph sat down on the bed looked at me through the mirror. "No. It got awkward pretty fast so I just ended up leaving." Giving me a once over, she quickly wrinkled her nose in disgust before adding, "What the hell are you wearing? You look like goth barbie."

I looked at myself in the mirror to see everything relatively normal. Sure I was wearing a dress, which I thought I would never wear again, but it was the most appropriate item I had in my closet. The rest is filled with denim and leather jackets as well as ripped jeans and skull shirts. I wanted to stay true to myself when I visited Mr. Fields but I also wanted to show a form of self respect.

"It's a dress Stephanie. You wear one all the time. You're even wearing one right now."

"They just look weird on you. I guess I'm just used to seeing you in shorts and tees. Where are you going anyway?"

I put the brush down and brushed off any dust on my dress. "I'm going to see the man that everyone thinks I put in a coma."

Stephanie must have been surprised by my blunt answer but she recovered quickly. "James Fields? Are you sure that's a good idea Zoey? With all that's going on and with the notes, I don't know if you're putting yourself in a dangerous situation."

"I can assure you that I'm not but thanks for asking. Speaking of those notes, you didn't tell anyone about them right? I'm handling them perfectly on my own."

For a second, Stephanie looked at me with guilt ridden eyes but they soon changed to casualness.

"No Zoey, I did not tell anyone that your ex-boyfriend is stalking you because then I would be a terrible sister."

I ignored the heavy sarcasm in her voice and said, "Okay then. I'm going to be gone for a good two or three hours. Just tell dad that I'm at Lucy's house."

"Yeah sure but you owe me one the next time I want to sneak out."

"Will do."

Realizing that I had no where to put my phone since I didn't have any pockets, I reluctantly grabbed a purse much to my chagrin

Although my father found it weird initially that I was wearing a dress, he shrugged it off and said I look beautiful. I gave him an awkward thanks before heading out the door. Thomas was waiting a block away from my house because I didn't want to arise suspicious from my dad. Me wearing a dress and meeting up with a boy, my dad will probably think I'm going on a date. That would be terrible.

When he saw that I was wearing a dress, he couldn't contain his laughter for long before he started chuckling.

"It's a dress; not a chicken suit. And don't ask why I'm wearing it because I don't feel like explaining it again."

He just grinned and said, "I wasn't going to ask. I was just going to say that you looked beautiful."

My eyes widened slightly as I took in the complement. How would I even respond to that? Thanks, you look hot too? No, that would be weird. This is what happens when you don't flirt with a boy for two years.

Instead of saying thanks, I completely ignored his statement. "Um, okay. I searched up the directions and we could take two busses and then walk from there. It isn't that far."

"How about we just walk? It's a beautiful day today. At least it isn't raining."

He really wanted to walk for five miles? I have no idea what he was going on today but he seemed strangely happy. Complimenting everything, not to mention the fact that he was wearing his glasses today. He barely ever wore his glasses. Thomas complained that it made him look to nerdy.