t h i r t y - t h r e e: "He is Far From Fairy tale Royalty." I Beg to Differ.

I didn't notice anything wrong when I woke up in the morning. It seemed like a normal day at least. All I wanted was a normal day with no strange discoveries or me trying to conquer some fear. Getting up from my comfortable bed, I did my regular morning routine and went downstairs.

Plumping myself down on one of the stools on the kitchen island I watched as my dad put his newspaper down and addressed me.

"Happy birthday Zoe. Hope you had a good morning."

Oh. I guess I forgot today was my eighteenth birthday. I'm officially an adult.

Apparently he saw the look of surprise on my face because he said, "Don't tell you forgot? You've been looking forward to this day all year. I still remember when I picked you up in Maryland, you muttered to yourself how you couldn't wait until this day so you can move back. You thought I didn't hear but I did. Do you remember that?"

I felt myself become embarrassed as I remembered that memory. I was just a bitter seventeen year old who thought her world was over when she found out she had to live with her estranged father. Now she's a bitter eighteen year old.

"I was different back then. I actually like you now."

Letting out a small smile, I put my toast in the toaster and I watched my dad let out a grumble as he continued to read his newspaper. I found myself get distracted so I didn't notice when he spoke again.

"I hear Stephanie, Lucy and Bryson made some plans for your birthday. Another boy helped with the idea but they wouldn't tell me who it was."

I'm pretty sure I have an idea who it is.

"I told them that I didn't want anything for my birthday."

"Well like you, they don't like to listen. I'm sure they planned something fun Zoe. I would have planned something as well but I think you would prefer spending your eighteen with your friends."

At least he's right about that.

"Well at least you remembered my birthday. I actually forgot it was today."

At that very moment Stephanie came into the kitchen, with her regular blond wig on. She was still too self-conscious to go bald inside her own house. I haven't really talked to her after I noticed that letter a couple of days ago. I wrote a letter in response, but I didn't have the nerve to send it. She noticed that something was weird but she didn't make too much of it.

"You are going to love what we have planned for you today. It's totally awesome."

"What do you have planned exactly?" I replied.

"It's a surprise. Don't worry; you'll love it though."

I just put on a fake smile and tried not to sound bitter. I really hate surprises. Going up to my room, I plopped on my bed and tried to get a few moments of rest.

A second later, my phone chimed and I looked at my incoming text.

Unknown: Happy birthday Zoe. You're officially 18 years old. Your friends planned a great surprise for you if I do say so myself. I noticed that you visited Fields a couple of days ago. I do feel bad that I put the old chap in a coma but there's nothing I can do now. For your birthday I'll give you a piece of advice. Don't trust your little friend. He might play the price in shining armor but he is far from fairy tale royalty.

I reread the message at least ten times before I set the phone down. I was not going to let a stupid little message ruin my birthday. Clicking save on the text, I got up from my bed and started to get ready.

All in due time.

Let's see, what would I wear if I was going to an unknown place at an unknown time? Why was I even focusing on my clothing choices if I had more important things to do? Grabbing a random pair of pants and a grey tank top, I quickly put them on before knocking on Stephanie's door.