t h i r t y - e i g h t: We're All In This Together

I looked in the mirror as I saw myself wearing my blue graduation gown and clutching a piece of white paper. It took me a total of ten minutes to get my gown from the laundry room and pick up a random pair of flats from my closet. I never expected that I would get to this point. I was finally graduating.

Glancing at the paper in my hand, I read the small, neatly printed letters.

Addressed to Zoey Newman,

Here are the responses that are to be given to Mr. Johanson when he sends his messages. You are to wait a period of two-three hours before sending the message as to not arouse suspicion. If he calls at any point in time, skip the allotted responses and repeat what the dialogue says. Forward each message to me after the conversation has ended.

Officer, Nathanial Cordero

After his name is printed, there are a series of numbers and a pre-written message that I must send. They are generic but have just enough of my personality in them so they don't seem like someone else wrote them. I over checked then, so I could be sure those are the responses I've written.

I chucked the paper on my bed and flattened the stray pieces of my hair. Hearing a knock on the door, I took one last look in the mirror and opened the door.

My father was dressed in one of his regular business suits with a red tie. He smiled at me and stepped inside. I stood awkwardly by the door, waiting for him to say something.

"Your mother would be very proud of you. We all are."

"Yeah. I just wish she was here."

"Just because she died didn't mean she disappeared. She is wherever you want her to be."

"Don't get all sentimental on me." I joked although I felt the opposite. I became upset whenever I thought about her, but I knew she didn't want me to be. She would want me to be happy.

"Do you think about her?" I looked him straight in the eye as I asked him that question. My mother was also a sore topic for my father. Their relationship was confusing. He left her and married another woman less than a year later, but yet, my mom always spoke fondly of him.

"All the time. Even though we ended up slipping, that doesn't mean that I don't love her. Sometimes, if you love someone enough, you have to learn to let go."

I didn't understand his statement. If you love someone so deeply, wouldn't you try to do everything you can to be together? Why would you give it all up?

My dad saw the paper on my bed and changed the subject. "Today is supposed to be a fun day. Forget about all your troubles. Are you ready?"

"Yeah, I was ready a long time ago."

"Okay, I'll meet you in the car in ten minutes."

After shaking my head in understanding, my dad left and I was alone once again. I searched around my looking, room for something but I didn't know what it was. Finally, I found my jewelry box where I would put all my fake target earrings and my handmade bracelets. Searching deeper, I finally found what I was looking for.

Taking out the gold necklace, I began putting it around my neck. It was beautifully encrusted with a small diamond ring in the middle. It was simple, yet elegant. My mother gave it to be when I was sixteen. I didn't know what type of ring the ring was. She wasn't the type to wear for jewelry for decoration so it obviously meant a lot to her.

I instantly felt better when the cold metal touched my neck. Knowing that I couldn't delay things longer, I left my room and headed outside. As I was leaving, Monica passed by me and stopped when she saw my necklace.