t w e n t y - f o u r: No dad, I do not have a boyfriend.

It took a second, before my dad could fully comprehend what I said.

"What?"

Well, nevermind then.

I took another breath and repeated what I said.

"I want to go back to Maryland."

"Why would you want to do that?"

"I've been thinking about it for a while, and I don't think it's a bad idea. I need closure dad. I want to go back to see my old home and maybe visit mom. It can't be such a horrible idea, right?"

All of them were silent again and it was starting to become uncomfortable. I considered taking back what I said but I knew that that sooner or later I would regret it.

He put the eggs back in the refrigerator and was about to put back the milk but looked up when everyone was staring at him.

"You're not going back to Baltimore, but if you want, you can decide what we can have for dinner tonight."

Monica suddenly made the excuse that she had to get the rest of the groceries from the car even though I was pretty sure that they already bought everything in. Stephanie slowly took Giselle's arm and backed away into the kitchen, invisible but still close enough so they could both hear what we were saying. Soon, it was just my dad and me.

"You aren't even going to think about it?" I said angrily.

"I'm not letting my daughter go to another state 500 miles away because she felt like it. Do you know you're even going to get there? Where you are going to stay? Who's going to cover your expenses?"

"I could take the bus, tickets are cheap. Also I could stay at my hold house and I could use my old savings account for my expenses."

He thought about this for a moment before he huffed, he was wearing down, "I still don't think it's a good idea for you to go by yourself. I can't miss work and Monica probably won't be able to close up shop for a few days."

"I can go with a friend."

Stephanie decided to snicker behind the wall when both of us turned around to face the noise. She stepped out of the wall, still laughing until she said, "Zoey, friends? Good one, I've been dying to hear a funny joke for a while now."

Her words did not come onto deaf ears and my dad visibly cringed when she said those words. Steph noticed and muttered a sorry before she went back to the original subject.

"You should go with Thomas. He's your friend." The suggestive look and the wink once again put her in trouble as my dad glared at me, "Who is she talking about?"

"Just my study partner that I hang out with. I wasn't even talking about him, I was thinking I could go with Lucy."

Dad still didn't seem to believe me but he briefly changed the subject, "Lucy is a responsible young adult and I happen to like her. If she agrees then I'll let you go."

"Really?" I questioned in happiness.

"Yes. Don't make me change my mind."

A large smile appeared on my face and I was about to go call Lucy when my dad stopped me, "Zoey?"

"Yes?" I said as I reached the stairs.

"I want to meet your friend. Don't think I'll forget." My face fell and Steph once again snickered as she headed up the stairs with me. I smacked her upside the head but she didn't say anything as she quietly cackled all the way to her room.

~*~

I was counting on Lucy saying yes. I already planned everything and told Clary over the phone so if she said no, it would be a big disappointment.I don't doubt that she'll say yes though because she's been wanting to meet my southern friends for a while. Instead of calling her, I wanted to invite her in person. That why it'll be harder for her to say no.