f o r t y - s i x: One Last Adventure

Sometimes it's hard to move on from past events, even if it was the thing that I wanted to do the most. It wasn't that I wanted to go back to the way things were before, I just didn't know what to do now.

It was like I finally escaped a loop, but since I was in it for so long, I lost my sense of direction. I played with my blanket and continued to replay the events that happened in the span of a few days.

Eventually, there was a knock on my door but I didn't look up to see who it was. When I felt a shift in my bed, I looked up to see my dad. He was carrying a folder in one hand and a suitcase in another. I assumed that he was telling me that he would go on another business trip so I looked back down.

"I know I messed up when you were a child, and that I will never be as good as your mother, but I hope that I have a chance to make this right."

I looked at him in confusion. Where did this come from? He handed me the folder and I opened it to see my passport and a plane ticket.

A plane ticket to Baltimore.

"While I would like to think otherwise, Maine isn't your home. Maryland is. There isn't anything for you here. You need to be where you'll be happy."

He also set the suitcase down that was now meant for me. I let out a smile and hugged my dad. When he let go, I looked at the ticket again.

"Is this your subtle way of kicking me out?" I said in a joking manner.

He only laughed before shaking his head. "You know I would prefer if you stayed. But as a father, it's my job to do what's best for you. Your flight is in three days so that gives you more than enough time to say goodbye to your friends."

I took the folder from him and put it on my bed. Maybe it was for the best if I go back to my home state. That way I could create new memories without being reminded about my past every time I walked past a building.

"You aren't a bad father. Sure, you made some mistakes, but it's obvious that you love all your children equally. Thank you, dad."

When he left the room I began to pack. I realized at that moment that I still haven't talked to Thomas yet. He tried to call me a couple of times, but I didn't answer. I couldn't go without saying goodbye. He was still my best friend.

I grabbed my phone and dialed the all too familiar number. It rang once before he answered the phone. Before Thomas had the chance to say hello, I spoke first.

"Hey, I'm sorry if I didn't answer the phone before. Meet me at our spot in an hour. We really need to talk."

He couldn't say anything since I already hung up the phone. I felt a little bad for doing this but I was afraid that if I let him speak, I would back out.

I packed everything but three outfits that I would wear until my flight. I didn't want to save everything until last minute and be stressed. For some reason, I really like packing, but unpacking is what bothers me. I was always too lazy to take everything out of my suitcase and organize it. It was just easier to leave it there.

I put on an olive green romper that had a v-neck. I almost forgot that I had it since it was at the back of my closet. Deciding to pack the rest later, I grabbed my phone and left my room.

For the first time in forever, I felt calm walking. I didn't feel like someone was stalking me, nor was I scared about being attacked at any moment. It was like I was at peace with myself. Although I still wasn't completely happy yet, I wasn't sad anymore. And for me, that's a big step.

When I arrived at the secluded area in the park, Thomas was already there. He was sitting down and looking at the water. He didn't seem to notice me yet. I sat down next to him and crossed my legs.