f o r t y - f o u r: He's Dying to Know What I Said

I breathed quietly so he wouldn't suspect I was anything less than angry. I would not let him get to me. Not anymore. On the other side of the line, it was quiet but eventually he got tired of waiting and spoke.

"Usually when someone calls, you respond with a hello. It's rude to be quiet on the other end of the line."

His voice was just like how I remembered it would be. Deep but still smooth. I felt my blood pressure rise when I finally heard him. He was going to pay for what he'd done.

"I thought that me ignoring you would make you bored so you wouldn't stalk me anymore. When that didn't work, I told you to fuck off. I guess you still don't know your boundaries so I'm forced to talk you. I'll say this one and only once. Leave. Me. Alone."

I knew perfectly well that he wouldn't stop but I was setting him up so he could arrange a time and place to meet. The mouse and the trap. He was the mouse, for once, and I was the trap.

He sighed on the other end of the line. He seemed to be enjoying this. "I'm not going to explain it to you again Zoey. You'll find out everything soon enough."

"When is "soon enough?" You've been saying that for days. If you really want to tell me, then say it to my face. On the phone sounds quite cowardly. Then again, you always were one."

It brought me a strange sense of satisfaction taunting him. Ryan was always the one controlling me, but for once, I felt like I had the upper hand, even though I didn't. I was taking control of myself again, and I wouldn't let that go for anything.

This time his voice sounded more venomous, and chills crept up to my spine as he spoke. "You're going to regret that. I'm doing this for you. But if you really want to speak, then I can come to your house. It's strange how you were so afraid that you suddenly want to see me. Are you up to something?"

"Stay away from my family," I said in the same venomous voice as him. If he wanted to play fire with fire then so be it. He was only to get burnt. "I wouldn't be Zoey Newman if I didn't have something up my sleeve."

"That is true. You have gotten more devious since you were fifteen. I like the new you, though, you're more fun. It was nice seeing your sister the other day. It's sad, though. Hasn't anyone taught her not to speak with strangers? It seems like she needs to learn her lesson." Ryan responded dejectedly, although he was very much enjoying this.

I tried keeping my voice calm, but it cracked as soon as he spoke about my little sister. Even though I always complained about her being a brat, I loved her and I would die if anything happened to her.

"What did you do to her?" I spat and he chuckled in response.

"Nothing, at least for now. Meet me at the jewelry shop around nine pm tomorrow. You know which one. And Zoey? Don't bring any of your cop friends around. Trust me when I say that everyone in your family will pay if even one cop shows up in that area. I'm not one to be messed with."

Before Ryan hung up, he said, "Tell Officer Cordero I said hi when you go to the police station now. I know he's dying to find out what I said."

With that, I was left alone in my room, completely alone and fearing for my own safety. I couldn't do anything without him knowing. And the way he said dying. It's like it had a secret meaning behind it.

My eyes widened in realization when I realized what he could have possibly meant.

Oh hell no. He was not going to get away with this.

I got up from my bean bag and hastily put one some shoes before leaving my house. I tried to remember where everyone said they were planning to go to today. Monica was out shopping with Stephanie. My dad took Giselle to her weekly karate practice being going to a meeting. I looked at the clock and it read 4:30 P.M. It was then that I remembered that I was supposed to pick her up today,

Of course I would be the one to forget to pick up my little sister when I was told two days in advance.

I practically ran to her studio, luckily it was only a few blocks away. Parents were still picking up their children and Giselle was sitting down, waiting for someone to come claim her.

I struggled to catch my breath but she saw me from a few feet away.

"What took you so long? The instructors were about to call my parents."

"Sorry, I forgot. Hey, I need to do something real quick. Would you mind coming with me?"

"Why? I'm tired. I just want to sleep. Can't you drop me off at the house?"

"No." I responded a little too quickly for her liking. "No one's home."

"Are you okay? You look stressed and you have these crazy eyes."

"I'm fine. Just come with me before I regret picking you up."

I put my arm around her soldier and together we walked to the police station. As long as she was with me, she was safe. I wouldn't let anything happen to her.

I had the suspicion that something happened to Officer Cordero. I was right when I didn't see him in his usual cubicle. I took Giselle's hand, much to her dismay, and led her to another police officer.

"Excuse me, is Officer Cordero working today?"

The other police officer shook his head and responded, "No he's in the hospital right now. He has a bad case of food poisoning."

I think I could guess where it came from.

"Okay thanks. Sorry to bother you."

He nodded and went back to his work. I looked at Giselle to see she was giving me a confused glance. "We walked all the way here to ask one question? That's it?"

"No. I was feeling generous and wanted to ask if Officer Cordero could give you a tour around the station. I remember when you told me that you wanted to be a police officer."

Immediately her face light up in excitement. Anything that had to do with action excited her, and even though that's not the reason why we were here, it still made me happy that it made her smile.

"Oh man! Could we come here next time?"

"Maybe. Only if you promise that you won't talk to strangers anymore."

"I promise, hope to die."

"Then it's a deal." I high-fived her and we continued walking home. I held a smile throughout the entire walk but inside I was crumbling.

I had to meet Ryan alone at the place where everything happened. The worst part is that no one would be able to help me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

A/N- There are actually less than four chapters until the book ends. I'm excited that I will finally finish a manuscript, but then I realize that Zoe's journey is coming to an end. It's been a wonderful ride. Please vote AND comment if you like the chapter. It really means a lot to me. If you're too shy to comment, then I would love to PM you as well. I'll see you all on Saturday.

Teaser: You'll finally see the person behind all the phone calls and messages. I can't say too much.