Ch. 6: Tessa

Tessa left her name and number with the mother. It could be a mistake, but then again, Tess was good at those. She felt like listening to her gut was always right and if she paid for it later so be it.

That's exactly how she ended up homicide instead of FBI. "Impulsive Attributes". She couldn't really argue it though. She had hated the academy. All rules and paperwork. Never really being able to jump in. They all said the same thing: "flying is for those who have put in the hours."  Tessa saw herself as more of a fly by the seat of your pants while reciting a Hail Mary type.

She got back into the car and buckled. This time she would forget all the bullshit and just let it rip. Like a band aid. Yes, it may hurt for a while, but at least it wasn't hanging on caught in your arm hairs.

"I've asked the chief to make myself your partner."  She blurted it. Exactly like a band aid. Then she sat back back and waited.

Hoyt continued looking straight ahead. So far no gun in sight. Tessa took it as a good sign. He pulled around the corner and stopped the car. Tess decided she wasn't getting out if he told her to. No way. This was going to work. It had to.

"And what did the chief say to you?"

He seemed pretty calm. Tessa found herself relaxing. Maybe he had wanted a partner all along.

"He said you have been solo a long time. That you hate partners, and whenever you have one they end up leaving you within a month, or end up dead." She hated to say the last part, but wanted to be honest. That is what good partners did.

"And?" He raised his eyebrows as if he were amused.

"And.... He said that if I could get you to give me a trial, it would be fine with him."

She smiled. He was taking this much better than the chief had warned. Maybe he liked her after all.

"Son of a bit- Ok, give me one God damn reason you want to throw your career under the bus to work with a cop on his last leg. And if you mention your father, even in a reference, I will accidentally discharge my weapon into your ass. That's at least 12 weeks off the force."

Tessa felt her cheeks redden, and stared out the window to avoid chickening out because of a death glare. She was on the spot and did the only thing she was good at, spit out the first words forming in her brain.

"Because I know that you know about the vampires. I know you track them, and kill them. I know you are already forming a way to solve this case which you and I both know involves them. I've trained, hard. For one purpose only. So that now I can work beside you taking them out one by one."

She watched Hoyt take his hands off the wheel and put them in his lap. He surveyed his surroundings and turned to face the her. He shook his head and raised an eyebrow.

"You are insane. You may want to get checked out. Seriously. And by a professional. I'm not sure what your playing or who out you up to it, but if you believe even a little in what your spewing out of your mouth, you are crazy."

Tessa felt her mouth hang open. This is not how it was supposed to go. He was supposed to take her as a partner, train her, and help her find Luka. She thought about playing it off, but her anger was seeping in. She had done her research. She had studied every secret document her father had. Stone Hoyt was the slayer. She had no doubt.

"That's bullshit and you know it." She released the anger in her words and let her hands flail to accentuate. "I've seen it all. I'm a Montross remember. You think all those training sessions, secret papers and meetings with my fat- umm, all that went unnoticed under my own roof?"

"I'm not the rookie you think I am Stone. After I left the academy I stayed with Harris. For a year. I could probably kick your ass, and I'm skilled with the tactics of the dead. I slept, ate, and proved myself time after time. I remember everything he taught me. You may not want to believe this, but someday your going to be too old, or dead. Someone needs to be ready."

She sat back in the seat with a thump. She had given her best shot. It was all up in the air now. If he disagreed she would find another. He was the best, decorated, called upon by top secret members in high up places, but not the only slayer. Tessa would get there, with or without him.

"Does your father have any idea of what your trying to do? Get yourself killed? And don't tell me it's about the good of humanity, whatever your reason, I don't want to know. I'm not here for personal justice or revenge."

Tessa couldn't stifle the smile. Her shoulders relaxed and she exhaled for the first time without the heaviness of doubt.

"He knows. How do you think I ended up in your squad?"

Hoyt pulled the car noisily away from the curb and headed South. Tessa found herself at peace and concentrated on not trying to look smug. Things were finally clicking into place and having Hoyt on her side was a good beginning indeed. 

******************************
What do you think so far? Intrigued? Bored? Confused? Share those emotions with a comment - or a vote. Don't be shy.