Ch. 12: Tessa

Tessa took a deep breath and surveyed her situation. It had been a trying day and night. First the crime scene, then the notification call, and now Luka's hands on her throat. To top it all off, Hoyt had gotten under her skin more than once. She knew this wasn't going to be easy. What she didn't expect was his perfect good looks and confidence putting her off her game. Since Dimitri she hadn't even thought of another man in that way.

The truth was she didn't know Hoyt well enough to trust him with her life. Not yet. All she really knew was that her father thought the man walked on water. That alone was reason to keep those seeds of doubt planted.

When he had let go of her arm and put his hand on the small of her back. She had shivered from the chill in the air and walked with him to the car. All she wanted at this point was a hot soak in the tub and to start her nightly ritual of cleaning her gun and having a cold glass of wine before reading in bed. The energy she had used today was at an all time high and her reserves were empty.

"I'm really sorry Tessa. He said to her. "I thought you knew Luka. He's a good leader. He sticks to his word and keeps his ranks tight. But every vamp loves to be in control. And every vamp has to prove he is. It's in their nature. I wouldn't have let him hurt you. He knew it, I knew it, and like an ass I assumed you knew it."

"Its all good Hoyt. Today has been long and I'm probably overtired. I want this bastard. woman, man, whatever this it is. I just need a long bath and a warm bed. I'll be fresh in the morning and hopefully forensics will come up with something by then."

"Don't hold your breath Montoss. Vamps don't leave much behind. Even their neurotoxin dissipates in minutes.  But we'll get her. One way or another."

"What makes you so sure its a she?  Your uncanny profiling skills or spidey senses?"

"Let's just say I've got a knack for following my gut. And right now it's saying I better get you home."

They drove in silence. Tess feeling a bit numb from the after affects of fear. She knew what Luka was capable of. Whether she could trust Hoyt or not, Luka was a vamp. To Tessa that meant destroy or be destroyed. He had held her at his mercy and she had done nothing. Her shivering returned. Visions of Dimitri swimming in her mind.

Hoyt had reached behind his seat and put a lap sized blanket over her legs. He let his hand rest on her thigh. Tessa felt it building a small circle of heat. She was grateful he was trying to be comforting, but angry at her inability to separate his friendly touch with thoughts of passion. Whatever was wrong with her she needed a cold beer and a good nights sleep to clear her mind.

When he pulled up to her modest brick house complete with white picket fence and exited the car. She quickly bolted from her seat avoiding him opening her door. He was her partner dammit. Not a date, or someone to take care of. She would carry her own weight until Luka and his band of demons were erased from this world and then she could afford to fall apart and paint in the desert or whatever she would decide to do to get over Dimitri and remember how to live again.

Tessa was surprised when Hoyt met her on her side of the car. He held his hand on the small of her back and silently walked her to the door. She knew he had to be bursting with questions about Luka's remarks. Mentioning Dimitri was a low blow and she had promised to be honest with Hoyt. But tonight she had felt enough. And hopefully her trembling was enough of s message to leave it alone for now.  He accompanied her to the edge of the porch. She waited for the examination and questioning to start that she could see in his eyes. But it stayed there. Unasked like an elephant in the room. Something told her he was too much of s gentleman to bully it out of her while she was recovering. When he finally spoke it was professional and soft, as if approaching a wounded animal.

"I'll see you sometime tomorrow. I meet with the Chief at ten. If your still interested we can comb the five active files after that. No need to get there at the crack of dawn. Your off rookie squad, if you want off that is."

Tessa smiled for the first time since laying eyes on Luka.

"You won't chase me off that easy Hoyt. I'm in. And I'll be there at eight. Files in hand and notes ready to compare when you finish your chat."

"I don't doubt that a bit Montross. Be safe."

Tessa watched him get into his car and pull off into the night. She closed and locked the door and leaned against it for support. She was seriously screwed. Her hopes of him being a pompous jackass were down the drain.

As she ran her scalding bath water and poured herself a healthy dose of red she couldn't help but smile. Getting out her gun cleaning kit and laying her towel on the table she raised her glass to a one person toast. She was finally on track to getting paid for all her sweat and hard work. And she dared to believe there might even be a few perks along the way.