Ch. 29 Hoyt: Hoyt The Human

Hoyt kissed Tessa's cheek as he left the warm bed. He had thoughts of staying. Of waking her up and repeating last night over and over until the world disappeared. But he moved his creaky bones toward work. The mistress that never wavered. He believed in his purpose. And always had. Since the day he was inducted into the secret world of the VCU he had felt home. And all these years later he had enough freedom to do what he wanted. He could sit at headquarters and run papers through a desk job but that would make him crazy.

As he quietly snuck his clothes from the scattered places they lay on the floor he thought about Tessa. He was much older than her. And he knew this wouldn't last. He wouldn't let it. She deserved children and a lover who could give her the stability and dedication she needed. He was too old for both. That is how he was sure he loved her. Because he already felt himself explaining his wrongness.

He left the house silent. Locking the doors behind him. His car still held the smell of her. And it made him think about turning back for one more kiss. But she deserved sleep. She had been thrown into this chaotic world and it had to be a shock to the system. All that and finding out about Dimitri was enough to stress anyone out.

As he pulled up to the restaurant he spent a moment surveying his surroundings. On the surface everything was quiet. Nothing that would tip anyone to the fact that the head of the areas vampires ran the business and most likely lived beneath its roof. He wondered just how crazy it would drive the world if they knew. Or how many, like the old woman saw the world without rose colored glasses.

He grabbed his folder from the back seat and reviewed the grisly crime scene photos again. He scanned the fresh ones from last night on his tiny mobile screen. He needed to forget Tessa and old blind women and focus on why he was here. Going in angry wouldn't help but focus would keep him on task and away from Luka's power games. He was done playing nice cop. Luka was a rule follower but needed to be pushed a bit. It was time to push.

As he walked in he was taken aback by the the silence. There were a few scarce staff members keeping busy but no bustle. The actual hours were dinner only. But Hoyt knew it had less to do with being trendy and everything to do with Luka being a vampire. He wondered how many of the staff were aware. He'd bet his badge at least a few of the employed humans were fans and frequent 'donators' to the cause. At one time it sickened him. But now he understood it kept the balance. They provided a service and were rewarded and saved lives in the process.

Hoyt walked to the bar area where he found a twenty something girl in the middle of folding cloth napkins while her body performed some awkward dance moves to whatever it was her headphones were piping in. He guessed this was one business that didn't worry too much about break ins and violence.

After at least a full minute of staring she finally looked up from her task and jumped.

"Holy shit!! You scared me. We aren't open. Move along. Come back at Five. And wear a bell. You knocked a year off my life!"

Hoyt smiled with amusement. Definitely not submissive. Either she was new or Luka was more tolerant than he thought. He flipped his badge upon the wooden bar.

"Oh. Sorry. What can I do for you?"

"I want to see Luka. Now."

The girls dark brown eyes darted from the clock on the wall to the door behind the bar in less than a second.

"Not gonna happen. What else can I do for you?"