Ch. 17 Luka

Luka paced the wine cellar. It was cool and damp and had a floor of earth that centered him. He didn't need this mess after centuries. So much time spent keeping the ranks together. Now twice in one decade there's to be a traitor in the nest. Perhaps several as he was unaware of it happening under his nose.

He was slack on keeping up with the den and its inhabitants lately. He had handed that task to his second. Hundreds of years of coddling and holding the reigns to keep peace and cover of his kind bored him beyond compare. His folly now was being more hands off. Enjoying life and getting his new business off the ground.

The tugboat was his main focus now because it meant more than scraping by to survive for his kind. It meant status, sustenance, and finally a real existence in a society. A boat of fun, vampire style, to meet every need and taste. Well, polite needs. He wouldn't stoop to backside establishments full of shadows and hiding. Those days were over. This was to be a hotel of grandeur for his kind. Fresh bar (all willing and nicely paid), gambling, and a bit of old time fighting. Hand to hand. No gloves. Too long had they all walked as normals. The needs of vamps were different. Not wrong. Just more. And there was already an influx of investors and members. All he waited on were the city permits. Which were in the works.

A front page splash or rumor of vampire kid killer could jeopardize it all. Take them back to the stone ages. Being hunted down like safari game. And as hidden and dispersed as he let his people get, no one would be ready for a war. He had lived through those dark witchhunt days, once was enough.

He picked up the phone and called his second in command. The only one he trusted without question. His creation, for vamp purposes, his son.

"Dimitri, I have some business I need attended to at once. It's time to pay your debt. Bring a few of the men. Meet me on the Tugboat at midnight."

He called the a few of the volunteers donors and gave them direction. He was obligated to at least provide a meal before discussion. He no longer hunted for sport or meal. Donors came to him now and he preferred this to the old ways. Those deeds bored him now. He ate for sustenance and no more. Hundreds of years would drive even the most loyal vamp to take the easy route. And at his age he needed to eat infrequently.

Seeing Teesa again was interesting. Dimitri would not be pleased at his assignment. Especially if it meant crossing paths with her, which Luka would surely facilitate. Something had to take the focus out of the vamp slayer and his all too eager partner. And Dimitri may be the ace up his sleeve.

He had felt a long forgotten rush holding Tessa. A stirring he had forgotten. Her anger was stimulating and it had been years since he had thought about passion, or her. She had surprised him giving up on Dimitri so easily back then. Walking away and believing the whole death story.

He had turned Dimitri for her. A gift. At the last second when he knew it was too late for anything else. Her intense grief and haunting eyes had stirred something that day too. And he granted her wish to have him no matter the cost.

By the time Dimitri had strengthened enough to withstand being around humans without killing them Tessa had gone into hiding. Using her life and resources to learn to kill his kind. Luka found it tragic, a true Romeo and Juliet story of his own making.

Dimitri had settled into the family as a true brother, laying life on line without question. To Luka, he was as close to a companion as he had had in a century.

Now the question tugged. The rouge would be killed without delay. There was no question there. It had been done countless times. Someone he had shared his own precious blood with had been turning others. And not very effectively training them. This was punishable by death. And it would happen quickly and quietly, without the human 'slayer' or his organization.

But what of sweet Tessa? His Juliet. His old mind wondered. Would seeing Dimitri help her find peace and follow him into the fold. Was it true love?  Or would she find a greater vengeance in killing because he had been missing so long?

Luka missed those plays. Toying with humans so long ago. Perhaps he wasn't as old as he felt. Perhaps there was a little mystery left in the world. Love. If it existed had always been a mystery. He wouldn't push hard enough to break Dimitri. He needed him still and valued his loyalty. He was a key player in the Tugboat and  the immersion that most believed could never happen. Tessa as well, her sweet scent and fighting spirit were qualities he could use. And if the chance arose, he would make her his own. After all, stirrings at his age were with more than loyalty.

A scent blew in from the east. Sweet and earthy. The sound of boots upon the deck, the chessboard in play. He did love the gamble.

"Brother, welcome. A meal is downstairs. It has been a month Dimitri. Surely you haven't moved on to better things?"

"Of course not Luka. My place is beside you, have you finally decided to assemble the ranks?"

"Not exactly. I ran into an old friend of yours. In my restaurant on a date no less. And I think you'll be interested in the conversation."

"It seems we have a problem with a young vamp on the loose. It should be dealt with swiftly. And whoever turned her as well. But more importantly, the news was delivered by someone you may want to pay a visit to."

Dimitri frowned at the news and sat straighter, attentive.

"Seems your dear Tessa has decided to join the ranks of the VCU. And team up with none other than the slayer."