Ch. 14: Calina

Calina entered her living quarters silently. She knew Mrs. Parker heard her no matter how silent she was. The blind woman had heightened senses and as old as she was, hearing and smell never went unnoticed.

She looked around the pathetic one bedroom home made apartment and saw no signs of intrusion. In the five months she had rented this place it had never been accessed that she could tell except by her. For appearance sake she opened the small college sized fridge and poured a glass of juice. Then took out a small pan and put it on the stove. She placed a can of soup on the counter beside it and poured the untouched juice down the drain.

She turned the shower water on scalding and removed her grimy clothes. In the hot water she washed her body. Scrubbing the burn scars roughly. If she were a human she would be screaming in agony from the heat of the water and bleeding from the rough scrubbing of old burns. But she wasn't human. The water held no temperature change for her. She didn't feel hot water. It didn't warm her. It was just movement upon her thick unfeeling skin.

She scrubbed her head and hair pulling some out. She was always rough with this body. Always hoping one form of torture or another would produce a feeling. When she was done she half dried herself and put on newer clothes. She still smelled moldy from the towel which had been sitting damp too long, but better than old dirt and blood.

This was her purgatory. Waiting. Time alone. Sitting like a bug in a net. Her insides quivered from just the thought of being trapped in this cramped space waiting out the throbbing of the hum. These were the times her anger grew and her only pastime was dreaming about her next soft meal.

A soft rap at the door broke her from her dark place. She wasn't mortal. There was no fear in opening it. She almost wished it were a snack delivery. But she knew better.

"Hello Mrs. Parker. Are you well. Can I get you anything? I was just about to make some soup. I have tea if you'd rather."

"No thank you dear. I heard you come in. It's so late. How is your mother?"

"Thank you for asking. Good round of chemo this month. I was gone a little longer than expected. But it was nice to see her moving around so I stayed a few extra days."

"I'm so glad to hear that dear. You sound tired. I won't keep you. I'll sleep better tonight knowing your here. There's a strange vibe in the city these nights. I've found it impossible to rest. But now with your young ears, I know we can both sleep knowing we are watching out for each other."

"Well, I don't know about the vibe but I do have perfect hearing. I'm right here if you need me."

"Good night dear. And I'm so glad your still wearing that Rose perfume. I used to own some like that when I was young and on the market."

"I'm glad it gives you good memories. Good night Mrs. Parker. Can you get back ok?"

"I'm old honey, not dead. I can still get around."

Calina shut the door and locked it. If she didn't the old lady would be telling her to do it in about 4o seconds. Was she ever that pathetic as a human? Whining about lacking companionship and living her life wondering about the insignificant feelings of others? If she could she would kill her on the spot. Calina hated making small talk. She despised making up stories about a sick mother to explain long absences. And making up stories about meals. She was above living like a human worm and having to pretend to be one disgusted her.

She lay on the mattress and rationalized why she needed her alive. She was a perfect cover. Her lack of sight meant Calina could stay as long as she wanted and didn't have to worry about ever being described if anyone got close to finding her. She was a perfect landlord. A five minute visit on the day she returned was about the extent of their relationship. That was about as much as she could tolerate any human. Except for her children. They were always the exception.

And as much as she hated to say it. The lady had pretty solid instincts. She could hear everything and always had a 'sense' when trouble was brewing. That could serve Calina well if the vamps ever did come looking. When. Calina knew, it would be when.

She knew her love of the children couldn't last forever. Once the human overlords put it together, war on her kind would finally start. And Calina would have a front row seat to the devastation. For all she cared, they could all extinguish each other. And Calina would make sure she was in one of those waves being taken down. Just not before Luka. Seeing his life dim was going to be her gift. One he owed her for this eternal hell. Thinking this thought almost gave her pleasure.

She felt a hunger now. The angry feeling toward Luka and his precious 'family' enraged her. She wouldn't be able to hide for long. Already she longed for the soft flesh of a dear one.  Just one more meal to hold her. Just one more time trying to connect. Then she could wait for the humming to slow. Tomorrow she would feed. Slowly and with discipline. Then she could keep her plan into action and wait to watch the world burn.