Ch. 19 Tessa

Tessa awoke to a small stream of light refusing to be blocked. She stilled, waiting for her ears to scan the room. No sounds. She rolled over, ready to face the consequences of last night and let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. The bed was empty. She wasn't ready to face Hoyt yet this morning. She needed time to process.

She heard the automatic click of the coffee coming on and smiled. Whoever invented the timer was a genius and should be a millionaire. Putting on her sweats and a robe she padded off toward some steaming sanity to mull over her decisions. Somewhere she was sure she should feel guilt. A city full of vampires and dying children and she was spending her time thinking of an impulsive lovemaking session and what it implied. Sanity she supposed, concentrating on the normal allowed her to stay sane through the rest of it.  Yeah, that would she could buy.

Visions of Hoyt shirtless and unguarded rose above her steaming cup. She remembered his lips firmly on hers, hands gliding, his strength carrying her to the bed. It had been a long time since she had been with a man, and Hoyt had made up for it. A small shudder of pleasure rippled across her and she almost wished he were here now. She had forgotten the joy and release of intimate touch and passion. How had she forgotten that?

As she dressed she found herself opening a crack of worry. What would this do to the partnership. Would Hoyt consider this a conquest and move on?  Should she act like it never happened at all?  Now she remembered why she had abstained. So much baggage with physical relationships. A dance she just didn't have time for.

She walked into the squad room and grabbed a sludgy cup of coffee. She didn't drink the coffee here unless she was desperate, but it was comfortingly normal to hold it. She saw Hoyt's back in the conference room. His arm bent holding a phone to his ear. His feet pacing. She took a deep breath and opened the door. Immediately scanning the files and avoiding his gaze.

"Yes, I've got that but what can you tell me about it. I told you exactly what your telling me now. What the hell kind of expert are you. Millions of dollars of equipment and you come up with no information! It's got DNA doesn't it?  Well, find a new test. Give me something more than a monkey could give me. Hello?"

He slammed the phone on the table. "Idiots!  The big discovery is that it's a large piece of burnt skin. Which we already knew. Apparently DNA isn't viable through charred bits of tissue, at least this piece."

He met her eyes and smiled. She felt her cheeks redden and shoulders relax. They may go on as normal, but neither would regret it. That was a gift she could live with. She sighed and got into work mode.

"So now what?  We've learned the identity of the boy, your theory correct. Got a pretty piece  of useless skin, and still not a clue about the killer. Where does that leave us Hoyt."

He sat next to her. She felt a tingle as his hand touched hers while taking Boy Blue's folder and staring at the photo.

"It's time to rile up the dogs a bit. I'm going to Luka's when the restaurant opens. Until then, I'd be content to just sit across from you for the rest of the day."

Tessa felt a full bloom blush spread down her neck. Maybe it wouldn't be as easy as she thought.

"I'm going with you. Wipe that look off your face. I trust you. Luka can have his power trip. As long as we get our vamp." 

Together they combed the files again. Line by line. Making a date chart of the children found and mapping them out with push pins. Tessa felt something missing, and it was frustrating. She was usually skilled at solving the unseen. And cleaning the city was her biggest motivator yet.

Neither bothered to go home and change. This time they drove in settled comfort. His hand resting on her thigh. Her head resting against the headrest, eyes closed. Feeling somehow more at peace than she could remember. She felt a calm over Hoyt as well. No awkward apologies, this was life, and both seemed aware that strings were only a complication.

They walked in side by side. Immediately Hoyt sensed a temperature drop.  "Well, he's aware, and maybe less pleased at our return than we'd hoped. You'd think he'd be happy we liked it enough to return."

They were seated in the back section, empty and secluded at the early hour. The waitress handed a basket of warm bread and recommended the daily drink special, a mojito with a citrine twist. Both opted for water.

Luka came out from the back. His eyes wandered across the dining room and as fluid as a panther he was at their table in seconds. Tessa couldn't help admiring his looks. His deep eyes and dark hair and a face chiseled ivory. His silk top was a deep blue and immediately without even being aware Tessa saw visions of rubbing her hands across his broad chest. She could feel his lips caressing her while his hands moved her hair. His tongue touched her neck and she sensed pleasure beyond anything she had experienced. It ended in a flash and she shook her head to clear it. She found Luka staring into her eyes. His smile wide and mischievous.

"Well hello again Tessa. Someday we must discuss things together. You look lovely. And no need to repay the compliment. I see you liked my little gift. Your heart plays music in my ears. Why do you only appear with such unfortunate company?"

Hoyt looked from Luka to Tessa. He wasn't sure what was happening between them but wasn't going to diverted by games. He brought out the small baggie from his pocket. A small piece of skin held behind for the real expert.

"I've brought you a gift Luka. It was found at the scene of another murder. It's not like you to let one get so far off the path. Wildlings are a dangerous association for your kind. We thought we'd help you out here, providing you play nice. All we are asking for is a nudge."

Hoyt slid the Baggie across the table. Luka's face contorted into a murderous scowl. Only to be set in stone again in seconds. He tucked the Baggie into his jacket. Eyes boring through Hoyt.

"I appreciate your concern over my business dealings. It almost warms my heart, well, you understand. I'm sorry I haven't a gift for you. Your visit was unexpected as the situation is already moments from being resolved. But I do have a gift for our dear Tessa. One I wanted to give her long ago."

He snapped his fingers and Tessa's eyes registered a blur of motion. As the blur slowed and came in to focus everything else faded. Tessa felt herself spinning and held on to the table. Her body drained instantly of feeling and heat and the last thing she saw on her way to the floor was the face of Dimitri.

Thoughts?  Now what?  Tessa's biggest reason for existence, revenge for Dimitri's death seems to have taken a tailspin. What must poor Hoyt think of this and what was up with Luka sending her a passion-o-gram?!!?  Next chapter is due Friday. I wanted to hold this one until Friday but I just can't!!  Comment if you feel like it.