Ch. 16 Hoyt

Hoyt pushed the kiss and all its complications to the back of his brain. And it wasn't difficult to do. The news crew had gotten out the photo of Boy Blue and a few straggling tips had him on the move. Tessa too, had evaded bringing anything up since she made her quick exit and It seemed as if someone had pushed a reset button on the whole event.

As he parked on West and Jefferson Hoyt turned to speak but Tessa was already closing the door. They walked into the bookstore where they were a tipster said the boy and his mother frequented.

"You Alice?" Hoyt said flashing a badge at the slightly tilting wooden counter.

The woman fidgeted with her bracelets and nodded.

"Did you call in the tip?"

"What happened to the boy? An accident I heard. Is he going to be alright?  He's never without his mother. Doesn't even stray among the shelves. Slip of a thing he is. His mother too, silent." 

Alice stared down the aisle as she spoke, as if picturing then there, picking books off the shelves. Tessa cleared her throat and spoke.

"Hello Alice. I'm Tessa. We're so happy someone may be able to help us out in finding out where his parents might be. The boy, when did you last see him here?"

"I saw them last Saturday. She bought him a book. He was carrying two. One a rhyming book about a skeleton snd the other about a raccoon getting ready for school. He picked the raccoon."

"Did you ever get a credit card Alice, one we can run for an address?"

"I've got the address. Willow, that's the mother's name. She likes books. When we don't have what she's in the mood for I order them and pop her a card in the mail when they're in.  She wouldn't leave her boy though. Not her. "

Alice slid the half skip of pink paper to Tess. She held it for just a second longer, biting her bottom lip. Tessa covered the hand with her own and gave a reassuring squeeze.

"Thank you Alice."

They walked out of the bookshop and Hoyt noticed Tessa shiver. Again his instinct was to out his arm around her and pull her in. But refrained. He would focus on getting in that house and finding out what happened there. And hoped it was something they could use.

Hoyt parked in the driveway. He sat staring at the house taking in what he could. He already knew if this was the house there was no reason to rush. The lawn looked kept up, but not professionally. No toys scattered. Curtains closed no car in the drive. He reached in the glovebox and grabbed a small bottle of Vic's vapor rub. He opened the jar and took a thumbnail sized glob. As he handed it to Tessa she sighed.

He placed the mini blob of goo on his top lip and circled the bottom of his nose with it noting Tessa next to him doing the same.

"Smell repel. That's what we used to call it. But nothing really repels the smell of death does it?"

Hoyt didn't bother to answer. He was on VCU mode. Cautious and aware. After several attempts of knocking snd ringing the bell. Hoyt didn't speak or even consider himself breaking and entering as he opened the unlocked door.

Tessa stopping at the entrance yelled "Hello, police here. Anyone home?"

Together they scanned the first floor. Finding old garbage and rotting fruit was a relief. Nothing out of place, they walked the stairs. The top of the stairs had a tell tale sign they were on the right track. Tessa"s arm flew to cover her mouth as the smell of warm spoiled meat hit her throat and nose.

The master bedroom was tidy. Clothes lay on the bottom of the unmade bed waiting to be worn. A pair of terry cloth slippers were perfectly lined on the side. The smell hung in the air and Hoyt followed it to the the master bath. There on floor in a congealed pool of black sludge was the father. His throat wasn't bitten so much as ripped and his face was frozen in a surprised expression.  Hoyt felt Tessa tense up. He blocked her out as he surveyed the scene. With his phone he shot a pic of the scene and moved on.

"We have to call this in Hoyt. We're already knee deep in a scene without authorization and I doubt you can say you heard him yell. He's been there at least a week."

"Not yet."  Was all he said as he passed her on his hunt.

Hoyt had to open the child's bedroom with his shoulder. There obstructing the door lay the mother. Willow. Still in her nightgown. Arms stretched toward the window. Face unrecognizable, a mass of pulp and clots. Broken teeth scattered along the floorboards. One leg twisted at such an angle Hoyt couldn't help but think of those people who could pack themselves in  suitcases. There was no pooled blood on the floor. No disarray of the room. Hoyt, kneeled down to the body. Examining every cut and clot with his eyes. Embedded in the fist of the mother was a black flap of some kind. He picked up the arm, examined the content of the closed fist closer. It appeared to be a sheet of burnt paper, or piece of scalp attached to a small hunk of hair.

"Jackpot. Forensics may not be able to help much here, but it's time to go back to Luka. We've just been given our first ace.  Call it in."

Hours later when they had finished processing and jumping through the hoops of explaining why they felt the need to go in without backup Hoyt drove Tessa home. It was dusk, and her eyes were circled with black from fatigue and lack of sleep.

"You've gotta get some rest tonight Tessa. Tomorrow night we see Luka and he may not be as welcoming as he was in round one."

She nodded, her face scrunching at the mention of Luka's name. He walked her to the door this time. His hand resting on the small of her back as she pushed open the door. He stepped in and looked around. Clean, lemon smelling, and decorated sparsely with creams.

"Beer?"  She asked.

He followed her to the kitchen. And as she put her hand in the handle to grab the beverage she froze. Hoyt wasn't sure what was going and looked around on alert. Her shoulders shook and Hoyt stood behind her to turn her around. Her face streamed with tears and he pulled her into his chest.

"I hate them Hoyt. All of them. Dead children, ripped from their dead parents. They take and take and take. I get so angry."

Hoyt said nothing. He held her until she stopped. Wiping the last of her tears with the back of his hand. She leaned forward, her rage spent, and kissed him. His mind yelled 'abort mission, damsel in distress' but his lips moved along hers with thoughts of their own.

She let out a long slow breath with a small moan and he knew it was over, his common sense packed up and took leave. Together they peeled layers of clothing on the way to her bed. The stress worked off in the most primal of ways, with passion and frenzied arms and legs in motion.

-----------------------------------
Any thoughts on this chapter? Keep in mind this was Hoyt's POV. No romance or details from the man- sorry. My guy is stereotypical. Tessa will have her say. Don't worry.

Will Luka fess up about Calina?  Is he aware?  Is he doing anything to keep the peace?  Next Chapter would be Calina's. But I think Luka needs an introduction don't you?

PS. I can't thank Juliet Lyons enough for the title snd RKClose for the stunning new cover. Thursday I'll do my best to number the chapters and give them a proper name in case you get lost reading.

A huge thank you to everyone reading and commenting. It's cedar point for my spirit!