Ch. 20 Hoyt

Hoyt had no idea what was transpiring when Tessa hit the floor. He lunged at Luka who appeared on the other side of the room instantaneously. A growl escaped from deep in his chest as he swung a fist toward the strange vamp who stood motionless staring at Tessa.

Stopping his fist mid swing at the last minute he grabbed the unknown vampire's collar instead. Pulling himself close enough to be face to face.

"What the hell did you do to her!"

The silent and still vamp turned slowly, seemingly surprised that Hoyt even existed. He offered only a hiss and show of fangs before turning back towards Tessa who remained unmoving under the edge of the table.

"I assure you. I did nothing. I am not in the habit of, nor do I find joy in hurting young women. Perhaps evidence of my existence was more than she could handle.  It may be better if you take her home and let her comprehend things at her own pace."

Hoyt let go of the collar adding a small shove which created no desired effect. He grabbed Tessa under the neck and hips and lifted her easily in his arms. Thoughts raced through his mind as he backed out of the restaurant never taking his eyes off the dark blank faced vamp. He lay Tessa in the backseat of his car making sure she was bucked and covered her with his emergency blanket. He turned to scan the building one last time and found Luka standing behind him. He tensed, ready for whatever was about to go down.

"My apologies Stone."  He delivered his words with a sneer like smile. "It appears my gift was taken with less enthusiasm than I anticipated. Dimitri's death was such a shock to her. I thought it would bring her joy that he was spared from death.  And don't worry about the rogue, it is being taken care of. You drive safely now. You mortals are far too fragile for risks."

Hoyt counted to ten holding back from losing his temper. He wasn't prepared for a hand to hand battle with a vampire. Physical strength was always on the side of the undead. His concern right now had to be Tessa.  With his foot on the pedal and his knuckles exerting full force on the wheel he weaved through traffic working on calming his temper. The only thing moving faster than his car were the thoughts spinning around in his head.

Hoyt gently removed Tessa's boots and tucked her into bed. He watched intently as her color finally began to return and beads of sweat appeared as her body began to recover from its shock. He stayed in the room worrying and pacing. Wondering what the hell her history with Dimitri was, and what his return meant to her, and to the beginning of whatever it was they had started.

Tessa jolted herself into a sitting position and Hoyt rushed to the bed beside her. He slid next to her and wrapped his arms around her. She said nothing but buried her face in his neck holding tightly. Eventually she was overcome by sobs and Hoyt waited comforting the only way he knew how, with touch and presence.

When she finally settled he leaned back and waited. Whatever happened, he knew it would be on her terms. He was old and stubborn and curious but he knew women. And backed into a corner they could be more dangerous than an animal.

"Ok Hoyt. I'm just gonna need a moment to collect myself. Tell me the truth. Did you see another vamp at the table with Luka?"

Hoyt handed her tissue to start the clean up process. As she wiped and blew he sighed. Another pair of eyes hoping for words he couldn't give.

"I saw him. It was Dimitri. Luka said he apologizes. He seemed to think you would be happy with his gift."

Tessa got out of the bed and went to the kitchen. She opened a bottle of lemon flavored  Vodka and tipped it towards the sky. Carrying the bottle in her left hand she opened the kitchen drawer with her right and pulled out a pistol that was not her regulation service revolver. She unloaded the clip, checked the weapon and reloaded. She sat the gun on the counter and faced Hoyt.

"We have to kill them. Both of them. Luka is evil. And Dimitri! Dimitri is a god damn vampire. He isn't even Dimitri. He's incapable of feeling or loving or anything good. He's a blood sucking carnivore! He would never want that. Never!!"

Hoyt held his tongue and placed her weapon back in the drawer. He removed the bottle from her shaking hands and poured a half glass  full and handed it to her. He Led her by her shoulders to the couch and pulled her beside him. He gently kissed the top of her head and slowly inhaled her scent while wrapping her shaking body in his arms. He needed to calm the storm. If only for tonight.

"We are not going to kill them Tessa. Your just really shocked and angry right now. We are cops, not killers. If you want to know how Dimitri feels about his change you can speak to him. When you have had a chance to calm down a bit. I know your pissed. But Luka isn't totally evil. And believe it or not he is far less trouble than a herd of vampires with no leader. I've seen that in other places Tessa. The vampires here are nothing compared to the chaos of a group of unorganized and undisciplined vampires feeding and destroying things. It's reverse cop thinking. We kill the bad guys, when necessary, to save lives. Here we keep the lesser evil alive to save lives.  I know your shocked, and hurt, and angry. Get some sleep tonight. I'll stay here and we can talk more in the morning. Less vodka and emotion and more time to figure it out will let us both think more clearly."

Hoyt knew from her eyes that she wasn't hearing a word. She was in a frenzy of emotions and the vodka was kicking in. Her face still pale, held a frozen scowl. He walked hand in hand to her bed and before he could leave she pulled him in with her. As he lay there with her head upon his chest he tried not to think about how right it felt despite the situation.

He closed his eyes and took deep breaths while mulling over case facts to keep his mind busy. He couldn't stop the visions of seeing Tessa limp and falling from constantly edging out any coherent thoughts. He wanted to feel comfort that Tessa's first instinct was to kill Dimitri. But he knew by her reaction to the sight of him there was more below the surface than just anger. As her breath warmed his chest he couldn't help remembering their time in this bed just hours ago and his gut told him he needed to get up. As he scooted silently towards the edge her arms pulled him back.

She put her lips on his and her lemon flavored tongue made all other worried and fears vanish. Her breath quickened and clothes made their way to the floor while the only thing either could process was touch.

#################
Hmmm....thoughts?  Maybe not the most exciting chapter. But give Hoyt a break here. He really is a stand up guy and somehow he's in the middle of a twilight like triangle with a very un-sparkly vampire. Or am I overreacting?  He seemed semi-confident during his angry period didn't he? What do you think of Tessa's reaction to Dimitri? 
Comments are more than appreciated. Love, anger, frustration, boredom?  Let me know what your feeling.