Ch. 21 Luka (.2)

Luka raised the glass to the light and twirled the drink. Sloshing it from side to side. He could smell its rich copper fragrance and remembered when just the sight of it made him want. At one time his only drive was to get blood. Now it was a ritual for prolonging time. Not unpleasant, but certainly without the surge.

Dimitri sat across from him. His own glass empty. As a still young vamp, he desired his sustenance warm and straight from the source. His face was expressionless as he waited. Such a disciplined disciple. Luka had hoped for more.

"Did it stir anything? To see her again after all this time. Did it bring memories of your old life back? Leave you feeling passion or anger or joy?"

"I have no feelings now Luka. As I'm sure you're aware. No intoxicating scent, no flood of memories. If anything, I found it rather odd she fell to the floor. I expected more. She was a ballbreaker when I was with her. A firecracker. Not a lay down and be rescued sort."

Luka dismissed his hope of getting any response from Dimitri. Thoughts of relishing in his bitter memories and anger dispelled. All this time, thinking of his trump card. Only to be granted nothing. He felt restless. More of a need to move than an actual feeling. That's what feelings were now more like nudges to move or flee. Nothing like he saw in the humans. No tears or real laughter. Just slight stirrings and needs. After hundreds of years it still bothered him. Just once he wanted to experience a full emotion again.

"At any rate we have succeeded in causing a disturbance in our dear friend Stone Hoyt and our beloved Tessa. While they sort through the emotions we have a small window to act."

He slid the Baggie across the table to Dimitri who picked it up, examined it. Opened it, and smelled the contents.

"I want it taken care of Dimitri. And quickly. And whoever it is, I want to know their maker. If they are killed before getting this information I feel it only fair that a life is owed for denying me. Make sure it is understood. If they are brought in to me alive I will consider it a kindness. And will reward accordingly. But no matter the outcome, I want the traitor that is turning them"

Dimitri stared into Lukas back eyes. He placed his palm across the table and Luka placed his palm above it.

"Understood brother. I will gather the hunters and get started immediately".

As Dimitri walked away Luka thought about the girl. So weak and fragile laying on the floor. Her heartbeat slow and erratic. She certainly was capable of feeling. During his small display of charming her it was something to feel her heart beat with the speed of a rabbit. And the pink glow to her neck and cheeks as her blood pulsed through her longing for his kiss was almost stirring.

He almost believed he could experience it. If he could feed off of her during a moment of passion like that. He drained his glass and smiled. Something to look forward to at last. Well, that and ripping the head off the traitor that was creating. This century may turn out better than he had hoped for.

He snapped his fingers and Samuel appeared. Slaves without question always made life easier. Samuel bowed his head and waited for instruction.

"A girl Samuel. Bring me a girl. Specifically one not on the payroll. And she must meet these guidelines:  I want slender, curls, and a bit of fear. A close match to the girl that was here."

Samuel bowed and retreated to complete his task.

Luka closed the restaurant blinds and locked the doors out of habit. Keeping things routine prevented questions.

He went below. To his own quarters where light and sound were incapable to reach. He showered and put on clean clothes. He may not be getting the real Tessa tonight. But it never hurt to have a practice session. He tapped his fingers on the dark oak desk and waited.

Dimitri would not let him down. The rogue would be executed, the traitor questioned and tortured, and Tessa would be his. It was almost enough to look forward to.

Shuffling feet and the smell of fear came from beyond the door. Samuel entered with a waif of a girl very unlike Tessa. Still, Luka felt her heart race and immediately his hunter skill sharpened.

"Thank you Samuel. When Tessa comes to us again, and she will soon, be sure and give her a good look won't you?"

Samuel bowed and exited the room. The girl was fetching. White skin almost translucent with lips full and deep red. Her green eyes darted back and forth scanning for an exit. She stood with all muscles tense, planning.  Making him only more enticed by her agitated state.

Luka held her chin and she clawed at him, grunting and screaming. He looked into her eyes and immediately she stilled. Only her heart gave evidence to her fear. Luka closed his eyes and enjoyed its melody.

"Oh yes, you'll do little bird. I am Luka. Let's be friends for a bit. If you're good, maybe we can play again sometime soon."

He led her to stand at the foot of the bed. And lifted his concentration just a bit. It wouldn't bring him anything if she didn't fight a little. As she struggled Luka felt her heart speed to a dangerous level. He grabbed her from behind and just as she opened her mouth to scream he bit.

Warm rich blood surged down his throat with the speed of her beating heart. A warm buzzing took him over. He imagined Tessa, her dark curls and pulsing neck. Just as he reminded himself to stop drinking and enjoy the girls other gifts, the music stopped.

He let the her lifeless form fall in a heap to the floor. His thoughts of playing more before erasing her memory and bringing her back again wouldn't be possible now. As he wiped his mouth with a towel he wondered how long it had been since he had lost control while feeding. He smiled as the tingle continued to course through his mind.

"Ahh Tessa.  Already you tempt me. The appetizer was the best I've had in centuries and already I'm hungry again."

He called Samuel mentally. The girl would be disposed of quietly and quickly before the sun rose.  And while he waited for dusk he would rest content for the first time in a very long time.

#########################
A huge thank you for reading. Another huge thank you for voting and commenting (which I hope you do). Feedback is the quarter that moves the ride (sad, but true. It's the steering).
I really liked this twist even though I didn't know it was going to happen. Luka is becoming a force of his own. Probably not good news for Tessa.