Ch. 9: Tessa

Tessa sat outside the restaurant sweating despite the cool breeze. She had been here before. She remembered the thick air and the smell of roses that was so strong it masked the smell of her food. She remembered Luka sitting across the table with her and Dimitri and being a perfect host. Flattered at their attention from the famous owner, they were all too eager to share stories and wine with the friendly man. His good looks and air of confidence had Tessa giggling like a school girl and Dimitri eating up his stories like he was a famous author telling a life or death tale.

It was the beginning of a time Tessa could never forge past. The beginning of losing Dimitri.

She tried to block out her memories and focus on her purpose. Hoyt was due any minute and she had to be in top of her game. Getting him on her side was the only thing that mattered right now. Well, that and five dead children. But even the children paled in comparison to Hoyt accepting her. They were a part of a bigger picture. Saving every human soul could be at stake. And she was going to be a part of wiping Luka and his kind from existence. It was all she had worked for in the last three years, and failing didn't factor into her vision. Dimitri was lost, she would never again have that. But, someone would pay.

She saw Hoyt heading her way from across the street. He walked with purpose and seemed much bigger than his six foot frame. He was dressed casual in dark jeans and a fitting black tee that showed his definition in a good way. He may have a couple of years on her, but Tessa found him mysterious and sexy with just a pinch of arrogance.

She found herself primping, and mentally kicked herself. This was not a date! Yes, he may have gorgeous hair greying sexily at the temples and pecs that would stop a bus, but he was the lead man for the VCU, a veteran tracker, and the man she needed to get her revenge. Thinking of him as anything but a trained killer could get them both in serious trouble. She pinched her side hard enough to bruise and plastered on her go face.

"Been here long?" His breath was warm and smelled of mint.

"Not at all. Just arrived actually, what's the plan?" She focused her eyes on his face and felt frozen. She would not allow herself to look any lower! His face was glued to hers, at least she could be as professional as he was. She scolded herself again.

"Let's order dinner and hope for a chat with Luka." He grabbed her arm like a proper gentleman on a date and together they walked through the door.

They were taken towards a center table when Hoyt slipped the sultry waitress a bill and stated "we would like a corner booth, if you'd be so inclined." She glance at the bill, smiled, and headed towards the dimly lit back with just a little extra swagger in her micro skirt.

Hoyt sat with his back against the wall and Tessa realized he was already in a state of defense and ready for action. He ordered an expensive wine as well as appetizers of bread with oil and rosemary dip, and a platter of oysters. Tessa wasn't an oyster fan, especially tonight if the aphrodisiac legend was true, but realized that big spending would bring Luka out of the woodwork. He may be a vamp, but like all business owners, he was nosey about who was out and about with the cash.

Hoyt reached for her hand across the table. He kept his eyes focused on her face and winked once before he spoke.

"You look beautiful tonight. I can't believe the month has went by so fast. Remember the night I stole you from Jack, he still won't speak to me! But I'm a believer that the most beautiful girl in the room should be mine, what can I say?"

Tess smiled, she was caught in believing everything until he said the name Jack. She began racking her brain trying to place him and then sat back. Luka was competitive. And had great ears. Hoyt was bluffing! She batted her eyes and licked her lips. She could play with the big boys!

"I remember. I also remember a you promising me to take me to Italy. Is that my surprise? I know it's something!!"

She looked at Hoyt and couldn't help notice shock register on his face. She wanted to laugh. She had just decided to turn it up a notch when Luka appeared at the table. His black hair and piercing golden eyes surveyed Tessa closely. She felt heat rising as he bore into her personal space. He sniffed the air and turned his head toward Hoyt.

Tessa took the opportunity to really see him. He wore black from head to toe. An open shirt showcasing his pale skin. He wore a gold chain and a diamond stud in his left ear. Everything about him screamed perfection. She couldn't help but feel inclined to lean closer. Until she was hit with the smell of roses, faint but there. She leaned back in her chair and once again faced Hoyt.

"Well, well, well. Now I've seen everything. Desperation sure does call for desperate measures, isn't that the saying. What can I do for you Stone? It seems to me that you already owe me one favor. Maybe tonight is the time I cash that in."

In a slip of a second, before she could blink, Tessa felt Luka's arms around her lifting her from her chair. He was behind her, rubbing against her with his mouth on her neck." She thought about fighting, or struggling, but even as the thoughts crossed her mind Luka whispered "I wouldn't do that Tessa, you'd like to live long enough to see Dimitri again, no?"