Ch 27 Tessa - The Past Bites Back

Tessa was beyond tired. To the point where objects swayed and her words slurred. She felt as if she'd been drinking, and truth be told she was craving a cold beer and a warm bed in that order. Her ability to stay focused left about two hours into the first crime scene. By the time they chatted with the blind woman she was sure she was hallucinating.

"I'm sorry. Did you say vampire?"

Tessa asked nonchalantly but every muscle pulled itself into rigid status.

"Of course I did. Don't tell me you are that far behind the times. Days of believing humans are the only and dominate species are over."

Tessa took out a notebook and pen and pretended to write something. All she could think of actually getting down was the date and the address of the house, and that would have to be checked for accuracy as she was sure she was in a Twilight Zone episode.

"Can you elaborate on that?"

Tessa asked wide eyed and innocent looking. This was beyond normal questioning procedure. Everything about this case seemed to deviate from all she had learned at the academy.

"Calina was a vampire. Plain and simple. She smelled of rotten flesh and the earth. Sometimes cooper metallic odor waited from her when I'd catch her before her shower which I tried not to do. Hands like ice, and a body like rock. But she worked very hard at pretending to be a very normal tenant. She was never menacing or threatening. Except for the fact that she never paid rent, she actually was a great tenant. No noise, parties, destruction, never a single problem or complaint."

Tessa noticed the woman's thin bony hands had steadied and the cup no longer vibrated. She wondered if the vampire had put her under a spell. Otherwise this was one crazy old blind woman with a death wish.

"If you thought Calina was involved in, I mean, well, if you classified her as a vampire why didn't you alert the authorities?"

Good one, thought Tessa. Badger the old lady. Maybe next you can accuse her of terrorism or harboring a fugitive. She saw the tiny woman straighten her shoulders and purse her lips.

"And tell them what exactly? That in my eighty years I've seen more than my share of unusual behavior and even a blind woman can spot a vampire? They would have locked me up and you damn well know it. Besides, it's better to be Switzerland. As long as your in calm waters, there's no reason to start screaming tsunami. I notice you didn't bring any boys in blue yourself, which makes me believe you understand my perspective well."

Tessa sat with her mouth open. Her mind whirled with questions but no words were forming. How was it the woman knew the agents were not police? She had heard of blind people being amazingly perceptive with other senses, but this seemed almost freaky. She found herself staring at the eyes behind the small tinted glasses as the old woman yawned and sat her empty cup exactly on its saucer base. Tessa began to wonder if she was blind at all and shook her head at her own bizarre thoughts. Hoyt cleared his throat and gave Tessa an elbow to the to rib cage before he spoke.

"Mrs. Parker, we appreciate your time. And you've been incredibly patient considering all you have been through. Would you object to a visit from us tomorrow without all the commotion. Maybe after a good nights rest?"

The deeply wrinkled face smiled for the first time.

"I wouldn't mind at all. Although I'm not a great sleeper or a morning person so if you could make it later than midday I would appreciate it."

They left the house in silence. Leaving a set of VCU teams in the shadows in case of Calina returning. In the quiet of the car Tessa finally felt her thoughts start to process through her exhausted state.

"What the hell just happened in there Hoyt?"

"Give the lady some credit Tessa, you think the entire world lives in a bubble? There are plenty of people out there who aren't immune to actual thinking, seeing, and understanding. Thousands of conspiracy theorists, bloggers, closet investigators we label crazy to help keep quiet. But knowing doesn't equate to acting. She actually played her hand perfect. The enemy is always best kept close and all that jazz."

Tessa stared at him and shook her head. Maybe she would be able to keep a string of logic together after some sleep. Perhaps Hoyt wasn't so human himself. He didn't seem surprised or tired after a night surely even he had to have found abnormal. Her thoughts drifted to Calina. Whether she was alive or dead. And if she was alive was she already leading her next child to their death? She could only hope Luka's people had gotten her, or at least had her on the run.

Hoyt pulled up in front of her house and shut off the car. Together they walked through the door. Tessa ran to the bathroom; she had been holding her bladder for hours. Asking for a bathroom break didn't come with processing a crime scene. When she emerged lighter and happier Hoyt was waiting in the kitchen with a cold beer. They drank in silence pondering the events of the night.

"I'll pick you up after I go to Luka's tomorrow. No need for you to be involved there. Get some sleep and we will revisit the crime scene and go over findings in the afternoon."

He reached up to tuck her stubborn curl behind her ear as he spoke. Tessa leaned into his touch and felt a warm calm sensation flow through her. She grabbed his hand and held it to her lips. He smelled like fall leaves and soap she inhaled deeply to soak him in.

He leaned in and kissed her gently on the lips. Involuntarily her lips parted and her tongue searched for his. Tessa immediately felt a surge of passion and her breathing quickened. A soft moan escaped and Hoyt placed his hand upon her back pulling her closer. She melted into his firm grasp and they made their way into the bedroom flinging items of clothing like breadcrumbs along the way.

She released her hair from its tight pony tail holder and he grabbed a handful without taking his lips from hers. His tongue flicked her neck, her breasts, and she moaned with pleasure. He kissed her flat stomach as he gently ran his hands across her body leaving warm tingles. His own muscular body fitting perfectly with hers. As he straddled above her the only thought she could process was 'yes'.

Tessa awoke from a deep sleep to light filtering in between the shade. She reached for the side of the bed last holding Hoyt only to find the cotton sheets cool to the touch. She wanted to burrow back down and sleep until evening. Her muscles sore from the long night of working and sex. She forced herself into an upright position and made her way into the kitchen to start the coffee before a much needed shower.

As she reached for the on button she found herself staring at a velvet box sitting next to the coffee pot. Adrenalin surged as she envisioned Hoyt leaving her a well placed gift . She opened the box to find a note which she quickly lay on the counter to get to the deeper contents. She immediately put her hand to her mouth to protect herself from making a screech. In the box was the ring she had purchased for Dimitri on their first dating anniversary. It was a placeholder for the wedding rings they knew they would be exchanging.

She dropped the box without removing her eyes. Her hands reached shakily for the note. Turning it over she read it aloud but the frantic beating of her heart made it impossible to hear.

Bella, I've waited a long time to see you. Too long perhaps. Know that you never left my heart. Beating or not, it's still very much yours. Perhaps we can talk, and you can at least hate me less. If you are willing to see me, (and I swear to your safety) leave a signal on the mailbox tonight. D-

Tessa backed away from the note. It was his writing, his nickname for her. But couldn't have been written by him. Vampires weren't sentimental, feeling, remembering. And yet, it was here. Evidence of Dimitri, her Dimitri. The beeping of the finished pot of coffee startled her as it sliced through the silence like an alarm. Perhaps she thought, it was. Her eyes drifted to the upper cabinet where she stored the only valuable thing her father had ever given her. A pure silver dagger with an ivory handle.

*****************************
I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It was quite an eventful night for everyone it seems! Don't ask about that last line! I have no idea what Tessa is planning to use that dagger for. She's keeping secrets. I didn't even know that dagger existed!!! A million thanks for reading and all the lovely comments. It's an experience I'll never forget, and I'm so grateful.