Chapter 25

Sarah's POV:

   I stared into the dyeing embers of our fire and shivered, where was Jareth? My body tingled with pain as I looked around. Sir Didymus stirred in his sleep, "Fear not fair maiden, I will rip thine enemy's spleen from... from... ehhh..."

     I smiled before hearing a sound from far off. It was someone shouting. I squinted into the night to see Jareth's thin frame half limping half running towards me. As he came closer, I saw him clutching a small orange item in his hands and could hear his excited rambling.

     "SarahsarahsarahohmyGodyouwouldn'tbelievewhatIfoundlookwhatwefoundHigmish andIlooklooklookdoyouseeIfoundithahahathisisitthelastoneIcouldkissmerightnow!OryoubutwhateverIfoundit!" 

     I stared in wide eyed amazement and pondered the amount of breath support it required to spew forth that many words. I took a breath myself, knowing it would take noise on my part to shut him up,"Okay Jareth, calm down. Okay slow down. I can't- Jareth. I don't know what you- Jareth. JARETH SHUT UP!"

     His smile faltered but at least he stopped talking. I looked him in the eye and spoke to him as if he were a child, "Slow down and tell me what you found. Slowly."

     He held out the object to me, "The peach. The one you ate that made you forget everything. I went through all the trash and ruined my pants when an old can of tomato sauce fell on them and now they stink but it was worth it sort of I think but the point is it's your and my last clue. It makes sense!"

     I had to mentally sort what he said was important, "How does it make sense?"

     Jareth took the peach back and rolled it over his hand, "We each have one clue left and we don't know where to look in the labyrinth. What if they aren't in the labyrinth?"

     "You mean?" I gasped, "That actually might work! Can we still get back to the dream world?"

      "Let's find out." A half smile played across the Goblin King's lips. I turned to my friends, "There's not enough for all of us."

     Sir Didymus, now awake, stood next to Ludo's foot, "Never fear, I shall keep watch over my brother. Besides, I uh," he coughed in embarrassment, "have an allergy to those things."

     Hoggle made a face at the small creature, "To what? Peaches? What a stupid thing to be allergic to!"

     "Well I do say! The stupidity of my allergy is in no comparison to that of thine's face!"

     "You little!"

       I broke the two apart, "Look, Jareth and I are going into that world. We might not come back. Just, thought I'd let you know."

     Hoggle fell silent and Didymus removed his hat, "We will await thee, fair maiden."

     I nodded and turned to Jareth, "Ready?"

     He smiled and dug his fingers into the peach, offering me a piece, "Why not? Cheers!"

******************************************************************************

      There were gossamer curtains and silver utensils. We were floating but not. At least Jareth wasn't. I looked around me and realized he was carrying me. I shivered with pain and gazed at the dreamy room. We were moving. My carrier limped forward, obviously drawn to something. I couldn't see right. The clocks were captivating. Silver, gold, crystal. I reached out a hand to touch a floating candle but my arm wouldn't budge. I couldn't move.

     I wasn't in my ballgown but I still felt it's airy weight. My head rolled back and my eyes were met with the ceiling. It was beautiful. White clouds suspended in by crystal droplets. They sparkeled as we passed and my eyelids became heavy. There was no sound but Jareth's ragged breathing and a song that played in my head. It was soft. Like a pillow. My body flinched from the pain but I didn't feel it. I was somewhere else.