Chapter Two

"I fancy a bloke."
John stood there, stunned at first, but then he broke out in fits of laughter. He's got to be kidding! He has a girlfriend! He's a women's man!
Paul didn't move a muscle. He was in utter disbelief. John didn't belive him! He stood there for a moment more before turning on his heel and stomping out of the bathroom.
John didn't even notice, he was bent over practically pissing himself. Once he calmed down he realized Paul wasn't there anymore. He was very confused. Paul was joking, right?
"Paul?"
John walked out of the bathroom, not sure what he was supposed to do. Wasn't this a prank?
"Paul?!" John raised his voice a little. This was starting to scare him. Was Paul really queer?
John turned in a circle. Which way should he go? Where did Paul run off to? But he didn't have to move because right beside the door was a sobbing Paul, his head buried in his knees.
"You're not joking?" John asked as he stepped closer to the younger lad. Paul shook his.
John didn't know what to do. He was kind of excited. But, why? Wasn't he supposed to be disgusted?
John gingerly placed his hand on Paul's shoulder.
"S'alright mate." Was all he said. Paul threw his head up.
"...a-arent you disgusted w-with me?" Paul choked between sobs.
"No, not really." John chuckled softly. Paul managed a small smile as he stood up.
Recess was about over so John and Paul decided to just stroll around the school. The silence was sort of awkward. Both the lads were deep in thought, not saying a word to each other.
Paul was still amazed that John wasn't disgusted with him. John. Someone who uses queer as an insult. Someone who will beat you into the ground if someone dares call him queer, wasn't disgusted by his queer friend.
"So who is 'e, then?" John broke the silence.
"Huh?"
"The bloke ye like? Who is 'e?" John repeated.
Oh no. What was Paul supposed to say?! He liked John! But he couldn't just tell him that. And coming up with a random person could ruin any chances between him and John.
"Uhhh.....-" suddenly the bell rang. Paul sighed in relief. "I'll tell you after school. Bye!" and with that Paul dashed to his next class.
John sighed and walked back to the bathroom. How could Paul be queer? What about Dot? Sure Paul looked queer, hell he even acted queer sometimes, but John just can't see him actually being attracted to a guy.
John splashed water onto his face, hoping it would answer all of his questions. It didn't of course. He wanted to know who this lad was that Paul was attracted to. He didn't want to wait until school ended.
God he needed a cigarette. Badly.
On the other hand Paul was having troubles of his own. 'I'll tell you after school' kept running throw his mind. Tell him what? Tell John he was bloody in love with him? Paul wished with all his heart that this could be easier. He wished queers weren't frowned upon.
The rest of the day seemed to fly by since Paul was lost in thought. The final bell snapped him out of his day dream. Paul sat at his desk for a few more minutes before sighing deeply and getting up. He could feel anxiety boiling in his stomach. He was going to have to tell John. There was nothing else he could do but tell John he was in love with him...
'oh this will be fun.' Paul mentally rolled his eyes.
He slowly walked to his locker to put away his books and grab his backpack. He took his time walking to the front door of the school, using as much time as he could to think of a way out of this. By the time he made it to the door he had come up with nothing. Through the glass doors he saw John sitting on the steps, smoking a ciggie.
'Here we go' Paul reluctantly opened the door and stepped outside. John turned around to see who it was, happy to find it was Paul.
"Well it took ye long enough" John stood up and stomped out his cigarette.
"I forgot something" Paul made up an excuse.
"Right. Let's go, then."
So John and Paul started walking to Mendips. It was very quiet and Paul didn't like it.
"Should we stop at my house and get my guitar?"
"No. We can just share mine." John shrugged.
"Okay." Paul answered.
Paul was playing scenarios in his head about how John might react to Paul's confession. He might yell at Paul and never talk to him again. Then again, that's what he thought he'd do when he told John he was queer. Maybe John had feelings for Paul, too, and would be happy that Paul liked him. Or maybe John would reject Paul, but wouldn't stop being his mate. Paul could deal with that, although he'd much rather be more than friends.
"So this bloke you're in love with, do I know him?" John couldn't hold in the questions anymore. He had to know.
"Can't this wait until we get to your 'ouse?" Paul whined.
"C'mon macca, just give me a hint!"
Paul thought about it for a moment. A little hint wouldn't hurt since he was going to tell him later anyway.
"Fine. Yes, you do know him" Paul said.
"How well do I know him?"
"Very well. You know more about him than anyone else."
Paul thought that would give it away. He waited for John to reply saying he knew it was him. He waited for him to yell and run away. But he didn't.
"Alright.." was all John said.
Once they made it to Johns house, they went right upstairs. John went and sat down on his bed picking up his guitar. He strummed a few chords before asking the question Paul was dreading.
"So...who is it?"
"Who is who?" Paul asked playing dumb.
"Jesus Christ Paul! The bloke you like? Who is he?!" John shouted, setting his guitar down. Paul thought about darting out the door and running home, never talking about this again. But he knew John wouldn't let this go.
Paul went over and sat next to John on the bed. He sighed and ran his hands through his hair. There was no turning back now.
"So..?" John asked impatiently. Paul started getting anxious again, and began biting his nails.
Why did he have to have these feelings?! Why couldn't he just forget about the whole thing and move on?! Paul started shaking slighty, not being able to handle the familiar pressure he was under.
"Paul? Are you okay?" John placed his hand on Paul's back, trying to calm him down.
"Uh yea-yeah I'm fine." Paul forced a tiny smile.
" Paul we're best mates. You can tell me anything. I won't be mad I swear." John had a hint of sympathy in his voice, something Paul rarely heard.
"John, I'm in love with you." Paul blurted out before he could stop himself.
They both sat there in stunned silence. John just stared at Paul, not speaking a word. Paul's face flushed. He jumped up and grabbed his bag before sprinting out the door. What had he just done?!