Chapter Three

John sat there for a long time while his brain was processing what had just happened. What did just happened? Did Paul just say he loved him? John wasn't sure of what to do now. He felt really overwhelmed. He still wanted to believe that this was a prank, but somewhere deep inside of him knew it wasn't. John wasn't queer....at least he thought he wasn't. He had only ever experimented with one other boy, but that was a long time ago.
John finally got up from his bed before he could have anymore thoughts. He looked out his window only to find that it was dark out. How long had he been sitting there?
The older boy crawled under the warm blankets of his bed, wondering in the process if he could even sleep. He lay there thinking about his little- okay big- situation. He could just sort this out with Paul tomorrow at school. Hopefully.
------------------
Paul was in his bed, blankets pulled up over his head. His pillow was soaked with tears. He couldn't believe he actually told John he loved him. He didn't even say anything when he told him. What does that mean?! John probably hated him. That's all there was to it. John hated him and it was all his fault. He shouldn't have told John he was queer. He should have just lived his life like a normal teenage boy.
But Paul loved John. He loved him so much it hurt. And now Paul can't have him as a lover or a friend.
Paul groaned and sat up in his bed. He took deep breaths trying to calm himself down. He really needed to talk to someone, he had too many emotions bottled up inside of him and crying wasn't helping.
George was his closest friend (other than John but..) maybe he should tell George... no. He already ruined one friendship. He can't tell Dot because she's his girlfriend and if she finds out he's gay, she'll tell the whole school, and Paul cannot have that.
School.
Oh no. Paul can't go to school. John'll be there and Paul really didn't want to see him for awhile. He'll have to fake being sick. But how?
Paul layed down and closed his eyes, trying to think of ways to fake being sick. After a couple of minutes he fell asleep, exhausted from the very eventful day he had.
"Paul! Time to get up!"
Paul slowly opened his eyes. They were aching from all the crying he did last night. Paul brought the covers up over his face and quickly decided that he wasn't even going to get out of bed. He'd just wait for his dad to come get him up and tell him he was sick. But how can he prove it?
Paul got up, ran to the bathroom and grabbed the thermometer. He sprinkled some water on his face to make it look like he was sweating. He put the tip of the thermometer under hot water until it reached 100.
Paul heard someone walking up the steps and darted back to his room. He threw himself on his bed and put the thermometer in his mouth.
"Paul?" His dad slowly opened the door and peeked inside. "You're going to be late for school"
" I can't go to school da. I have a fever." Paul lied. His dad walked over and took the thermometer out of his mouth, examining it.
"Oh dear. I suppose you do. I guess you'll have to stay home today. Will you be alright on yer own?"
Paul nodded.
"I'll see you after work, then." Jim smiled and walked out the door.
Paul couldn't believe it actually worked.
He sat in his bed until he thought everyone had gone. He slipped put of bed and tip toed to his door, opening it slowly so it wouldn't creak. He peaked into the hallway. No one was there. He walked over to the stairs and tip toed down them, careful not to step on the creaky parts. The coast was clear.
Paul let out a sigh of relief and grabbed a bowl of cereal.
-------------------
Once John got to school he headed right for Paul's locker. If he didn't talk to him right now he'd go crazy. They needed to sort out this problem.
John walked down the hallway, no sign of Paul at his locker.
"Shit" John cursed. He walked over to George. Maybe he knew where Paul was.
"Hey George. Do you by any chance know where Paul is?"
George rolled his eyes. "No, I 'aven't seen him. I don't think he came to school today."
John groaned, really annoyed with Paul. He ran his hands through his hair, trying to keep his cool.
George stood there, watching John, not sure what his problem was.
"...Did something happen between the two of you?" George raised an eyebrow. John sighed.
"Yeh. And I really need to speak to him....shit."
"Hey, calm down mate. I'm sure whatever it is, it can wait until after school. Then you can go work things out with Paul." George put his hand on Johns shoulder trying to calm him down.
"Ugh, I guess you're right." John laughed. He supposed he could wait until after school, even though it was killing him.
Once the final bell rang, John raced out of school and to Paul's house. He tripped up the steps and rang the door bell. After a couple of minutes, someone finally opened the door.
"John? W-what are you doing here?"