Chapter Sixteen

"Maybe we should break up."

Paul regretted the words just as they came out of his mouth. His stress levels were off the charts and his brain was not complying with him. He wanted to tell John he didn't mean it, but he stayed silent, as did the older lad.

Finally, after what felt like forever to Paul, John said something. It wasn't nice, but it was something.

"Are you fucking serious, Paul?"

Paul didn't know what to say. There was a war going on in his mind. Half of his brain wanted to yes but the other half wanted to say no. All the while Paul just wanted to hug John and never let go. But he continued to do what he'd been doing, which was stay silent.

By now, John was pretty worried. He didn't want their relationship to end. He really love Paul and he didn't think he could bare to remain only as friends.

"You can't just drag me into your bullshit and then change your mind the next fucking day."

Both John and Paul knew it had been a week, of course, but exaggeration was key to an argument.

Anyway, Paul was still lying on the ground, staring at the sparkly sky, not saying a word. His brain wouldn't compromise with him and his thoughts were all jumbled up.

Meanwhile, John was starting to panic a little, since Paul wouldn't say anything. Maybe he was being too mean? John decided to take a nicer approach at trying to convince Paul not to break up with him.

"Look, I was perfectly fine with ignoring my feelings, but you dragged me into this, and there's no way in hell you're gonna get out of it this easily." John said it as sweetly as possible, but the only thing Paul did was sit up. He wouldn't even look at John.

Now Johns mind was having a panic attack and he did the only thing he could think of. Beg.

"Paul, please. I don't want us to end. We can sneak around. We've been doing it anyway. Your dad can't monitor you every second of your life." John paused to see if Paul would say anything. He didn't. "C'mon, Paul, please. I love you."

John hated how cheesy he sounded, but he needed Paul.

Paul stared at the older boy for a while, trying to gather his thoughts. He knew exactly what he wanted to say, but his mouth wouldn't allow it.

"Paul! Get in here!" Jim suddenly yelled from the door. John looked at Paul with pleading eyes, trying to get him to say something before he went in. But Paul was looking straight at his dad with pure rage in his eyes.

"GO SHOVE YER THUMB UP YER ARSE!" Paul screamed. He turned to John and grabbed his face, bringing him in for a heated kiss. He wanted John to know that he didn't want to break up and he wanted Jim to know that they were staying together no matter what.

Paul heard the front door of his house slam shut and he filled with joy. He pulled away from the kiss, trying to catch his breath. He smiled at John who seemed to be quite happy also.

"I love you, too."

The older boy sighed in relief and looked over at the McCartney household. Jim was probably fuming with anger. He's had to have locked Paul out, now.

"Do you think he'll let you in?" John asked.

"I doubt it. But I don't care. I'm not going near him, he'll probably cripple me." Paul let out a small, nervous laugh.

"I guess you'll have to live with me for awhile." John grinned. He stood up and held out his hand for Paul. "Come 'ed, then."

And so, Paul grabbed his guitar and they started their trek to Mendips.