Chapter Seven

John's alarm clock went off, waking the slumbering boy from his dream. He looked beside him expecting to see Paul, but was disappointed to find that he wasn't there. He figured he went home earlier; before Jim woke up.
John blinked the sleep out of his eyes and got out of bed, searching for his school uniform. He wandered downstairs, the smell of breakfast overwhelming him.
"You're up early." Mimi said, flipping a pancake over.
"This is the same time I get up every morning."
"But you don't usually come downstairs until about seven."
John shrugged, picking up the newspaper and reading the headlines.
"Thought I'd get to school early today."
Mimi turned around and looked at him surprised. He never got to school early. John raised his eyebrows at her surprised expression and instead of saying something, took a swig from the carton of milk that was on the table.
She sighed and went back to making the pancakes. John chuckled quietly and went back to reading the newspaper, waiting for the food to be done.
He finished breakfast and dashed out the door. As he walked to school he wondered if Jim and Paul made up. What if Jim still told Paul he couldn't see John anymore? He doubted it.
As John approached the school, he saw a small figure sitting on the steps. He didn't have his glasses on, so he couldn't make out who it was.
When he got closer he realized it was Paul. He smiled and walked towards him, wanting to know what his dad said.
"What're you doing 'ere so early?" John sat down beside Paul, lighting a cigarette.
"Oh, I just thought I'd sit out here for awhile. Get some fresh air. Why are you here so early?"
"I had nothing better to do."
Silence took over as John worked up the nerve to ask what happened between him and Jim. He really thought that they worked everything out, but what if they didn't? What were him and Paul supposed to do?
"So....what's happened with yer da'?" John asked, taking a long drag from his ciggie. Paul stiffened, not really wanting to talk about it. He was too angry that his dad was being so stubborn.
John's heart beat faster every second Paul didn't speak. His father didn't want him around Paul. John didn't want to have Paul avoid him. They just started a new relationship and John actually liked it. And now they couldn't even be friends.
Paul sighed deeply and lit a cigarette of his own before saying anything.
"My dad didn't let up and he still doesn't want me to be around you, but I don't care. He can't keep me away from you." Paul gave John a ghost of a smile and intertwined their fingers together.
John pulled his hand away and stood up.
"Oh, great! Your dad hates me!" John paced back and forth, trying to calm himself. Paul frowned, not knowing what to say. It did seem like his dad hated John, considering that he said he was a bad influence.
Paul stood up and hugged John from behind, not saying a word. He quietly hoped that no one was there to see them.
John stood there, Paul's arms wrapped around his stomach, trying to quiet his thoughts. How could Paul's father hate him when he hadnt even talked to the bloody man?! This made no sense!
Paul let go of John and kissed his ear in hopes of calming him down.
"It'll be okay." Paul whispered. John went over and sat back down on the steps. He rested his head on his hands and stared at Paul.
"Well what're we supposed to do?"
"Nothing." was all Paul said. He picked up his things and walked into the building, leaving John alone with his thoughts.
-----
The school was soon filled with adolescents who didn't really want to be there. Paul was at his locker getting the things he needed for first period. He felt slightly bad about leaving John by himself outside, but what else was he supposed to do?
"Hi, Paul!" came a cheery voice from behind him. He looked over his shoulder and found Dot standing there.
"Oh, hi." Paul said concentrating on his locker once again. Dot came and stood beside him, trying to get him to look at her. "We're going to the dance on Friday, right?"
"I guess so." Paul wasn't really thrilled that he couldn't go to the dance with John instead of Dot. All of a sudden an idea popped into his head.
"Hey, do you have any friends that still need a date to the dance? John still doesn't have anyone to go with and we could have like a double date, y'know?" Dot thought for a moment.
"My friend Cynthia still doesn't have a date. I could ask her if she'd like to go with John."
"Great." Paul said and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.
Suddenly Paul felt a hand grip the back of his shirt and yank him away from his locker.
"Look who decided to shown up to school today."
Paul looked over and saw the boys that bullied him all the time. He tried to squirm away but the grip on in shirt was too strong.
"Let go of me!" Paul shouted. The boys just laughed and slammed him against the wall.
"Why weren't you in school yesterday? Too busy with your queer problems?" One of the boys taunted him.
"Why do you care?"
"Oh, we just want to know what our gay friend was up to."
"I'm not gay!" Paul lied. He wanted to get away from these bastards as soon as possible.
"Get off of him!" Dot screamed. She didn't know what to do. There was no way in hell she could scare these guys away.
"Don't worry, sweetie, we won't hurt him too bad." the boy chuckled. He turned back to Paul with an evil look on his face.
"Let's see how ugly we can make that pretty little face of yours."
Paul closed his eyes as the boy raised his fist in the air, waiting for the pain to come.
"HEY!" a voice shouted. But not just any voice. John's voice. Paul opened his eyes and smiled. John walked up to Paul's attacker and pushed him away from the younger boy.
"What the hell do you think you're doing?" John asked in an deep voice.
"Teaching this queer a lesson." the boy said, pushing John back. John punched the lad square in the face, knocking him to the ground.
"What the fu- ah!" He kicked him in the side before he could finish his sentence. John grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and raised him to eye level.
"Stay away from Paul. Don't look at him. Don't touch him. Don't even breath the same air as him. Got it?"
The bloke snickered, blood dripping from his mouth.
"Why? Is he your boyfriend?"
Paul watched as John punched the bloke in the stomach, smiling to himself. He was glad John got here before that lad hurt him.
John walked over to Paul, examining his face for any cuts or bruises.
"Are you alright?"
"Yeh, I'm fine."
Dot walked over and and grabbed Paul's arm, hugging it tightly.
"I'm so glad they didn't hurt you."
John snorted, jealousy boiling up in him.
"Yeah, well, you're welcome." John directed that towards Dot more than he did Paul.
"Why do you h-" a teacher interrupted her before she could finish speaking.
"Mr. Lennon! Go to the principals office! Now!"
John smiled wickedly at Dot, pointing behind him.
"Well it looks like I have to go." he walked away, coolly, happy that she was out of his sight. John hated Dot. It wasn't just because he was jealous. She could be real nasty sometimes. He couldn't understand what Paul saw in her. She wasn't even that attractive.
"Why does he have to be so rude?" Dot asked holding Paul tighter. He ignored her, bending over to pick up his books. He went over and shut his locker.
"Don't forget to ask your friend. I'll see ya later."

-----------------
Sorry I haven't updated in so long. School is starting soon and I had to get all my stuff together.

I hope you like the two chapters.

Have a great day ♡