f o u r

I hopped out of the passenger's seat to the shocked stares (and a few envious glares) of several of the cheerleader finalists. "Thanks for dropping me off!" I waved to Rob, who smiled and nodded before driving off to practice. Turning back around, I noticed the girls hustling to get into the field house before me - a wise decision. Getting to a tryout after the captain is usually frowned upon.

Setting up at the judge's table, I removed my jacket and tossed on some jazz shoes. "Ladies! Congratulations on becoming finalists! I will lead a group stretch, and then we will play your music through a few times before beginning the final audition."

5 hours and 50 tryouts later, I stood up from my place at the table, completely exhausted, but with a new team of 30 cheerleaders. Trying to escape the inevitable rush of grateful rookies and devastated cuts, I told the team I would email them and headed out to my car.

I walked three laps around the parking lot, looking for my blue Rav4, before realizing that it wasn't actually there. I had to go find Rob. Not that I was complaining.

Wandering over to the fields behind the stadium, I flashed my staff ID and took a seat on one of the metal benches on the sidelines. I scanned the field, looking for number 87. My eyes landed on him just in time, as he snagged a pass with one hand. I jumped up and clapped furiously, "Yeah Rob!!"

Immediately regretting that decision (as my heels sank into the grass), I quickly sat down. Seconds later, I heard a thud and heavy breathing as someone sat next to me. Turning my head, I broke into a huge smile and threw my arms around him in a bear hug, ignoring his sweaty pads.

"Tom!" I yelled. The unsuspecting quarterback looked shocked for a minute, and then realized it was me and returned the hug.

"Hanna! I haven't seen you in forever!" Tom pulled back so we could talk face to face. As captains, we had worked together a lot to coordinate the teams, and had become very good friends. At 16 years my elder, he was almost like my second father.

"I know! I am so glad the season is starting again," I babbled excitedly.

Tom laughed, "You and me both, kiddo. This is the year."

I nodded, "Let's make it 6."

We both looked up as a whistle was blown, "Tom! You're in!"

Tom snatched up his helmet and stood up, "That's my cue. See you later, Han!"

"Bye Tom." I directed my attention back to practice. It seemed like they were finishing up, as the players broke off to work on position-specific drills. I stood up and made my way over to one of their trainers, Josh, who also works with the cheerleaders occasionally.

As I went to stand next to him, Rob finally noticed me. "Hanna!"

I smiled and waved, "Hey Rob."

Josh yelled, "You guys can finish off with 4 rounds of the agility ladder, and then you're done for the day."

I turned to him, "You down to work with the cheerleaders again this season?"

Josh gave me a half-smile, "Of course. Some of your girls work harder than most of these players."

"Excellent! We love having you, even though you kick most of our asses."

Just then, someone leaned over my shoulder and whispered in my ear, "So, you and Rob, huh?"

I turned around to see Tom again. "Aren't you supposed to be practicing or something?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

He smirked, "You're blushing!" he sang as he walked away.

I shook my head and turned around, only to see a very tall, very muscular tight end sprinting at me at full speed.

"Rob!" I yelled, trying to avoid being run over. He snatched me up by my waist and threw me over his shoulder before I could escape. "What the hell are you doing??"

Rob kept walking towards the locker room, "Making sure you don't leave yet."

I rolled my eyes, "You're my ride home you dummy."

"Oh. Right." He kept walking.

"Rob. Please put me down," I groaned.

Finally, he stopped and placed me gently on the ground, "Well, since you said please."

I straightened out my clothes, "Thank you very much."

Half an hour later, I slid into the passenger's seat of the truck as Rob started it up. "How was practice?" I asked.

"Pretty good, I made a one-" he started.

Unable to help myself, I interrupted," An amazing one-handed catch! I saw that one. It was totally ESPN worthy."

He gave a huge smile, "Not to brag but...it kinda was. How were your tryouts?"

I sat up straighter in my seat as we merged onto I-95, "Awesome. I have a really great team this year."

"Well they do have a really great captain," Rob cut in.

I blushed, "I'd like to think so."

"So, when do those cheerleading uniforms come out?" he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

I smacked his shoulder, "Oh shut up!"

He laughed and turned his attention back to the road, "This is gonna be a great season."