t w e n t y - f o u r

"Hanna, you're not allowed to go to practice," Rob tried to block the doorway as I headed out for Gillette.

I protested, "The doctor said I can go as long as I sit!  I need to run my team!"

He crossed his arms and looked down at me, "Yes, and I know you, and you won't sit. So therefore, you can't go."

"Can I pleeeaaase go if I pinky promise to sit?" I made my best puppy dog face, "I really need to be there, I'm the captain."

His face twisted as he mulled it over, "Ok fine, but I'll be checking in and your cute butt better be in a chair."

I smiled gleefully and kissed his cheek, "Now move, I'm late."

"Love you!" I heard Rob call as I ran (or rather, hobbled) out to my car.

~

I groaned in frustration as the team messed up the same 8-count for the fifth time in a row. Practice was useless if I wasn't able to move. "Guys!  It's just a simple kick pattern!  Again."

They managed to mess it up for a sixth time. I took a deep breath, then pushed myself out of my chair and hobbled out a little ways, boot in tow. "You're not listening to me. It's 2 straight, then a right fan, then another kick to the right diag," I explained, marking through the pattern as I talked. Instead of following me, the girls burst out into whispers, pointing at the field house doors. I cringed, knowing exactly who must be standing there.

"Hi Rob..." I slowly turned around.

"Practice the kick line please. This better be perfect when I get back," I delegated to my co-captains, then turned slowly around to face the newcomer and put my brightest, cheesiest smile on my face, "Hey Roberto! Welcome to practice!"

He did not look amused, "Hanna, we made a deal. Come on, time to go home."

"I can't go home. I'm the captain, I run the team. They're already a hot mess, just imagine what would happen if I wasn't here," I whined.

"Hanna, you need to rest if you want this to heal," Rob replied, "I'm sure Michelle and the other co-captains can handle this."

I groaned, realizing he would not budge on this, "If I let you take me home, I'm setting up a video call so I can still be here."

He rolled his eyes, "Fine, as long as you are resting. Now come on, I pulled my truck around front."

"Uh, Rob?" I asked, as he started walking in that direction, "I drove."

"Then I will walk you to your car!" he exclaimed, puffing out his chest like a superhero.

I giggled, and smacked his shoulder playfully, "Now come on, before I change my mind."

"Ladies, I'm taking Hanna home because she can't manage to follow simple doctor's orders. Don't screw up or she might actually explode," Rob turned to the team.

I noticed several of them were still staring at him like he was Brad Pitt or something. "Guys, relax. The man plays football, he's not a superhero or anything," I called to them, an annoyed edge to my voice. They all blushed and scattered, pretending to be practicing choreography.

I turned back to Rob, who look extremely offended that I had just ruined his superhero fantasy. "Come on, Captain America," I laughed, grabbing his hand and limping out of the training field.