s e v e n

F A L L

This was it. Today was our first regular season game. The Patriots were taking on their long-time division rival, the New York Jets, and true to form, both the Jets and their fans had been talking trash in the media all week.

I was currently running the cheerleaders through a practice in the field house behind the stadium, and the rookies were visibly nervous.  "Ok, good practice everyone. Go touch up your hair and makeup, we need to be game-ready in 15 minutes. Rookies, see me please," I ordered. The veterans headed off to the locker room, chatting and goofing around, while the new girl gathered around me.

"Ok, I know you're all nervous, but just try to relax and have fun. You'll look dumber if you're stiff and anxious while performing.  You've worked hard, and you wouldn't be on this team if you couldn't go out there and look amazing," I concluded my pep talk, and looked around at them.  They all looked the slightest bit more relaxed, and I mentally patted myself on the back. "Now go get game ready!"

As the rookies jogged off to the locker room, I walked over to my bag and checked my phone. I had a Snapchat from @gronkalicious. Wonder who that could possibly be. Rob's face filled the screen as I tapped to open the message. The caption read, "raise your hand if you'll score on NYJ today". He had included a giant emoji with its hand raised. I laughed, and quickly responded with the same emoji. Then, I shed my warmups and headed to fix my hair and makeup. We were wearing our traditional navy blue and red bra and booty short uniforms with white dance boots. Paired with loose curls and the most beautiful deep red lipstick I have ever seen, we looked amazing, if I do say so myself.

~

"Ok girls, this is it. Let's go out there and show the crowd and the Jets cheerleaders that we're the best!" I cheered, shaking my metallic poms in the air as we stood in the tunnel. "Two lines!" I called, feeling all 32 of the most elite cheerleaders in the league fall into place behind me. I closed my eyes and took a breath in through my nose, slowly letting it out through my painted lips. Quickly going through my pre-game ritual of shaking out my wrists and ankles, I finally straightened up, and as the first chords of Crazy Train reached my ears, I lead the girls out of the tunnel and onto the field. The wall of sound hit me immediately, and it took me by surprise despite the many, many entrances I've logged on this field. Gillette Stadium was physically rocking, between the screaming fans and the sounds of rock music being blasted through the speakers. The fans knew that when the cheerleaders came out, the players weren't far behind, and soon enough, as we fell into our two lines bordering the tunnel, Brady lead the Patriots onto the field. I didn't think it was possible, but the crowd got even louder.

Number 87 came running out soon after the quarterback, and I swear he winked at me as he passed. I rolled my eyes and laughed as his bulky frame proceeded to the team bench. Once all the players were out, we ran over and took our places on the sidelines. I headed to the bench to meet up with the Patriots captains. "So, we're going to win, right?" I joked, knowing Tom was fired up, as sheer hatred for the Jets always brought out his most competitive side.

He looked at me with fake disapproval, "You're already doubting us?"

I responded with a shrug and a laugh, and then we got to business, sorting out what would happen in the game in regards to interaction between teams. It was important that the cheerleaders did not interfere with the play of the game, so the goal was to ensure both teams could do their jobs while still supporting the others. Finally, we wrapped up, and I turned to walk back to the sidelines, only to run smack into a padded chest.

"You have got to stop crashing into me," Rob's voice came from above me.

"Oh, whatever. I'm pretty sure you did that on purpose," I laughed.