Chapter 65: Numb

Grey's hand clasps mine as we run, dragging me along. I peer up at his glazed gray eyes, frantic expression, and red face. He's not focusing on anything in particular. Now I think we're running just to run.

I dig my heels into the ground, forcing him to stop. He whips around, his eyes suddenly awake. "Kir-"

"Stop," I sigh, pulling him closer to me. "Take a breath, you're tired."

"I'm not," he cries. "Please, can't we keep going?"

"No. We need to find out where our squad is. Where this war is taking place."

"Kir, please?" he repeats.

"Why?" I snap, my voice sounding harsher than intended. "You don't know where you're even taking us, Grey! We're just running! I don't want to run anymore!"

"Please," he chokes out, his voice hardly a whisper.

"We will look for him," I murmur. I walk forward, and he follows me. His eyes are distant, so I squeeze his hand. "We have other things right now, though. Gryphon is...a good kid. I don't want Ayumi to hurt him either, but we need to be with our squad."

Grey mumbles something under his breath that I can't understand, so I pretend I don't hear. I pause when we come out of the trees, staring at my new surroundings.

"Where are we?" I murmur, my eyes raking the clearing.

Grey swallows, then lets out a shaky breath. "We're at the entrance."

"What?" I gasp. I take another look around, and this time I can vaguely recognize where I am. The green grass is charred, leaving black trails of ash wherever the fire user walked. The pond is frozen over, and the ground is torn apart. The sky is dark, and a small breeze carries the smell of smoke. I look to my right, where small flames are still ablaze. I blink a few times, trying to collect my thoughts.

"How is this..."

"Our home?" Grey finishes.

My eyes land on the pond. Something is frozen inside, and I creep closer. I suck in a breath and tumble back when I see it's a person. He's one of our soldiers, based on what he's wearing. His eyes are wide and he's screaming. His hand is reaching up in a final attempt to get air.

I trip on something behind me, and I land on my back. I don't want to move or think. I just want to lay here. I slowly sit up, examining what I tripped on. I scream when it's the charred remains of another soldier, this one being a yukos. I throw my hand over my mouth, trying to take deep breaths.

To the right of me is an arm; a severed arm. I roll to my side, ready to throw up. I feel Grey's hand under my arm to lift me up.

"Kir-"

"T-t-they're dead," I murmur, blinking rapidly. "I-I can't b-believe they're d-dead."

Grey places his hands on my shoulders. "I know it's hard to see. People died in the bomb accident too. This is a war, people are going to sacrifice their lives for Gambos."

"B-but what ab-bout a f-funeral?"

"Unfortunately, I don't think these people will have one. It's okay, Bena."

"It's not okay!" I cry. I look around, now noticing almost every lifeless body. "They d-died...they aren't coming back! I didn't h-help them..."

"You couldn't have," Grey sighs. "You weren't even conscious. I know it's difficult, but this is a war. People are going to die, good people. Now just honor them by winning."

I nod, pulling my thoughts together. "It looks like it was a fight between a bunch of elemental users and bows and arrows," I murmur, noticing the random arrows strewn across the landscape. "I'd like to think we had the upper hand, but I just don't know."