Chapter 9: Different Kinds of Danger

I blink as the door latches into place. My emotions feel strewn across the cement floor like a tangled ball of yarn. Happy, confused, excited, angry and...dark.

I shudder as the truth of what I was about to do hits me. I look through the window to the yukos, slumped against her shackles, an empty sack of potatoes. I wanted to kill it. In cold blood.

This is what you came here to do, Bena, I remind myself. So then why do I feel so guilty?

Grey's voice pulls me from my internal struggle. "I want her off this squad."

Ayumi sighs, nodding towards the yukos slowly falling into unconsciousness. "You really want to do this here? She could be listening."

"I don't care if she's listening," says Grey, crossing his arms over his chest. "It's not like she'll ever get out of here. Bell will kill her before that happens."

"You make me out to be such a bad guy, Grey, but I'm only doing my job."

If I wasn't already confused enough, the three of them arguing only sends another jolt up my spine. I take a step closer to the window, straining to hear better. Grey's never liked me, could it be me he wants off the squad?

"I for one think she's very observant," Bell continues, taking her hair out of its low ponytail. "Why wouldn't you want her on your squad?"

Ayumi nods. "That's a handy skill. You can teach someone to fight, but you can't always teach that."

Grey runs a frustrated hand through his hair. "I'm not saying she'll be a bad recruit. I'm just saying that I don't want her to be my recruit. There's something off about her."

Bell shrugs. "Well, you're the only one who's noticed that."

"Besides," Ayumi says, putting a hand on his strong shoulder. "There's nothing we can do about it. If it's really a problem for you, then go to General Holt."

At the mention of General Holt's name, I perk up. I've never seen him in the news before, but I've heard his name plenty of times. He's detained dozens of yukos, and as sightings have gone down recently, his capture rate is quite impressive. If I could have just one meeting with him, I would-

"One of your recruits is eavesdropping, Grey," Bell says, and I suddenly find all three pairs of eyes focused on me. I blanch at the attention and slowly back away from the window, a deer caught in headlights.

"Are you kidding me?" Grey mutters, anger flashing in his gray eyes. Without a word to Ayumi or Bell, Grey marches over to the door and wrenches it open so fast I'm surprised it doesn't come flying off its hinges. "Marcus," he barks, and I almost tremble at the fury in his voice.

My thoughts feel like scattered slips of paper. "I'm sorry," I say, walking backwards on my heels. "I heard General Holt's name, and I just got sidetracked-"

"What all did you hear?"

It's crazy to think that just a few days ago, I slammed a laptop lid down on this man's hand. Just a few days ago, I confronted Julien Smith and his gang and punched him square in the nose. I don't feel like that girl right now. Looking up at Grey's built stature, his arms like tree limbs, his eyes like stone, I feel small. I feel like a tin roof worn over years of weather abuse, covered in dents and rust.

"I'm sorry," I repeat.

Grey lets out a sigh and nods, rubbing the back of his head. "Okay, fine. Just go."

I don't even glance back in the direction of the yukos, nor do I let Ayumi and Bell's disapproving gazes keep me in my place any longer. I rush toward the door and pull it shut behind me with a slam.